 Administrative / Suggestions / 279
Re: Block user X from replying to a message by user Y
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Tue, 14 May 2002 20:59:14 GMT

In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Larry Pieniazek writes:
So you're saying it's OK to bait people all that you want, but anyone rising
to it is potentially at risk?

Sounds like about the only plausible solution to me... Perhaps in a perfect
world Suz could spend time punishing baiters, but it sounds like that's not
gonna happen.

Is it OK to bait people as long as they don't rise to the bait? Most of the
time when Scott baits me, I don't rise it it. I'm pretty proud of my record
(no one is perfect of course) lately, I've ignored 95+% of his baiting.

I dunno if I'd be so proud if that were my record. If cars crashed only 5%
of the time, I'd feel pretty unsafe in a car. My record for ignoring Scott
is far better than yours. So are most peoples'. You've got one of the worst
track records on that front-- hence the so deemed "Scott & Larry Show"
(don't ask why he gets front billing-- I wouldn't know). Your record should
be 100%. Or maybe 99.99%.

But I don't think it *should* be OK to keep baiting and baiting and baiting
the way he does.

My personal thought is one reason he does it is BECAUSE he knows people will
take the bait. Stop responding. It'll probably help because he won't get

And I don't think he (or anyone) should be able to get away with it over and
over and over just because most people ignore it most of the time.

"Should"? No. But again, plausibility. Bait posts are MUCH harder to track.
Raging fury flamefests are much easier to locate. *Should* he get away with
it? No. And it's not fair. But tough. Until we have a viable solution, it
ain't happening.

$.02,
DaveE