 Administrative / Suggestions / 245
Re: Block user X from replying to a message by user Y
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Fri, 10 May 2002 22:49:59 GMT

LUGNET Admin wrote:
So far, it goes something like this:

-----------
New!  LUGNET "Bickering Prevention" Policy

When I catch someone at useless bickering, or flaming, or having off-topic
arguments in on-topic groups, or generating purely hostile noise that's a
nusiance to the community, I will take action.

The person(s) involved will receive a time-out or chill-out period during
which I hope they can calm down, "let it go," or take their argument into
e-mail, or to r.t.l.

This period would last at least 1 day, maybe 3, but probably not more.

Now, before Scott asks me:  ;-)
No, I won't write super-specific rules. or attempt to establish a "line" for
those who wish to push it. There's no clear way to define such things, so
it'll be based on common sense. and, I suppose,  my own opinion and judgement.

That means there'll be times when I'll miss some fight or another and maybe
it seems "unfair" to certain people. But... (sorry) that's just too bad. The
needs of the many outweigh those of the few (who're bickering ones, at
that), and I side with those visitors who come here only read the groups for
relevant -content. And I don't see how a "laws and policing" system could work.

I think that sounds good. I don't think you'll miss anything significant
since what is a concern is things which start to brew out of control,
and those get noticed (and if you have a semi-formal policy, you'll get
helpful e-mails if you aren't noticing). The situation where someone
says something which gets a little under someone's skin, and they make a
snippy remark, and then the original poster apologizes or just keeps
their trap shut, and the whole thing dies, those are mostly OK.

I just want to add that I for one am really pleased that the Lugnet
administration is becoming visible and active again. It may take a while
for that to permeate to all aspects of Lugnet, but I think Lugnet is
going to recover some of it's luster as various issues (technical and
social) get addressed.

Frank