 Administrative / Suggestions / 252
Re: Block user X from replying to a message by user Y
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Mon, 13 May 2002 02:05:51 GMT

richard marchetti wrote:

In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Frank Filz writes:
And yes, I think that if the bickering about castle and space continues,
the policy needs to be enacted upon pretty quickly.

Eh?

You can't really think that particular dispute is a serious problem can you,
Frank?  The issue seems pretty much resolved even as I type -- it very
quickly transferred over to off-topic as several content-less posts, all
apparently in good fun.

I recognize that the space-castle thing isn't exactly the highest level of
discourse, but some spirited banter shouldn't necessarily be shot down out
of hand either.

It was just a little skirmish in the sandbox is all...

The admins seem to have a handle on when to act, and also when to stay their
hands, in any case.

It looked like something that if it continued in the tone I was seeing
(which I wouldn't qualify as "banter"), that it was getting close to
something which needs action. I'm not sure where the line is, but I
think I'd like to see the line drawn at a point somewhere not too much
beyond where the castle/space hoopla was at (at the time I posted, I
haven't read more to see the direction it might be going now).

I was taking the castle/space hoopla as an opportunity to have some
dialogue about what "bickering" is. If some people think that was all
just "banter", then we definitely need some good guidelines, because I
can guarantee that there are plenty of people who if caught in such
"banter" would let it get under their skin.

I don't want to see time-outs called on someone who for whatever reason
is a bit sensitive about a discussion. I would like us to learn how
"banter" can be misread and be more sensitive, and at least not jump
down someone's throat when they post offense to "banter". I think that
if I was the one who posted some kind of response to banter, and then
got shot down for being overly sensitive, and then a few other people
jumped in, and maybe I posted once to defend myself, and then as a
result, was among those given a time-out, that I would feel at least
partially that the time-out was in part saying I was wrong to have
posted my first post.

Folks, please remember, humor doesn't always come across well on
electronic media (or even in a face to face conversation), and it's
easily possible for someone to take something very seriously that was
supposed to be purely a joke. And especially, when you start to defend
your "joke", that it can dig even deeper (and this type of thing HAS
happened here - remember that April Fool's post about quitting LEGO and
all - that got into a round of what I suspect would be qualified as
bickering, all because some people didn't happen to catch the joke, and
then got jumped on for not getting the joke).

Frank