 Administrative / Suggestions / 258
Re: Block user X from replying to a message by user Y
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Mon, 13 May 2002 17:45:41 GMT

LUGNET Admin wrote:
I think what you're saying is that you don't want me to expect everyone to
just "be quiet and take it" if they feel offended. If that's what you're
expressing concern over, I can understand and it's a good point.

But I'd tell you not to worry about that too much because it's going to take
a LOT to get timed out. And if there's a situation with a big group of
people, it's not likely that I'd apply a sweeping silence.

Asking me for examples is justified, and I certainly would point out to the
community where and why a time-out was called. (IMO, it shouldn't just
'happen' like an act of the HOG.)

Explanations are definitely good. I'm pretty sure back when Todd had to
regularly forcibly remind people about where auction posts were
appropriate that he always made a public statement (though I think he
could have been slightly less terse, though really, the rule in question
there was pretty clear, obviously the bickering rule is a little less
clear).

I have only a few minutes here, but I'll quickly give you a little more
picture of what would cause me to react...

General guidline: Don't make me mad.

That could be a little fuzzy, but I can pretty well accept that because
I think you are intending to draw a line well beyond what should be
tolerated. That does leave some room for folks to politely state their
offense, and probably even respond when called on such offense, so long
as they keep that response level headed. When it starts to continue past
that point, there either is a real problem which needs to be addressed
(for example, if someone used a slur in addressing a minority, and a
debate broke out about the use of that particular word, the reaction
might need to be some policy discussion - but a time-out might still be
appropriate to cut the bickering so the issue could be discussed a day
or two later with some level headedness).

Frank