 Administrative / Suggestions / 312
Re: Block user X from replying to a message by user Y
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Fri, 17 May 2002 16:51:12 GMT

In lugnet.admin.suggestions, David Koudys writes:
If there is an issue with LUGNET, and we want to discuss modifying charters,
or some other aspect of the LUGNET community, then there was a proposal a
few months back about .admin.roundtable, but no idea where that went,

admin.roundtable turned into the group you're using now, admin.suggestions.
This is the place for discussing modification of charters, etc.

I chose not to use the word 'roundtable' (even though it was an appropriate
word) because I did not want to project the impression of an elite board of
members who make decisions for everyone else.

BTW, So far, I'm very happy with this group. I believe people are feeling
more invited to post their ideas and concerns; and the discussion of those
ideas is staying closer on topic (though I haven't done any math).

A large motivation for my creating .suggestions was to improve efficiency
within .admin. I was unsatisfied with the tangle of policy debates,
suggestions, alerts to technical problems, complaints, and bickering all
happening in admin.general. It felt like a hostile mess for me to wade through.

but that is no more :-)

So, in what way would expect .rountable to differ?

but it might go into o.t.-debate until a solution is hashed out, and we can
say to Suz, 'We think this is a good proposal, mayhaps you would like to
implement these changes.'

[assuming you're serious] I see the value of the latter part, but don't
believe the former part is neccessary. And, even though it may seem inviting
for me to have you guys boil down proposals, I would worry about the
impression made to those people who aren't so vocal, and those who filter
out .off-topic. When your proposal materialized in admin, it may appear to
others that you were some sort of committee, or board of veteran members, or
whatever..

I know, personally, I'd be a little put-off if I was member X, who saw your
proposal in admin, then folowed it up with some valid point, only to be told
by one of you that "we already discussed all that over in off-topic.debate" (!)

Not to mention, *I* would miss those valid points too. (I'm not a big reader
of otd.) All of which are important to me in making decisions.

So! That's just a longwinded way of saying: I am happy to see the
suggestions debated here.

If it's just people bickering, mayhaps a new
group--o.t.-bickering/tirade/i-wont-listen-to-your-spouting-but-you-must-
listen-to-mine group.

Anyway, just comments from one of us in the cheap seats, a la 'peanut gallery'

now, why would you say that? [concerned]

-Suz