 Administrative / Suggestions / 248
Re: Block user X from replying to a message by user Y
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Sun, 12 May 2002 03:58:52 GMT

LUGNET Admin wrote:

In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Frank Filz writes:
LUGNET Admin wrote:
[...]
New!  LUGNET "Bickering Prevention" Policy
[...]

I should specify that when I said "time out" I mean shutting off their
posting privelages temporarily.

That's what I understood.

Looking at the bickering which seems to be going on in .space about
castle vs space, I've got some thoughts...

While I think I agree with your point in general about timing out all
participants, I think it would be good to indicate the post which sort
of drove it over the line.

I don't think anyone should ever feel they can't say something offends
them. No one needs to feel constrained to change their ways just because
of such a statement, but the statement itself should never be completely
discouraged (but it would be good to encourage people to only speak up
when something which is said is getting under the skin, and not every
time you find something not really to your taste). In conflict
resolution things that I have been involved in, it is generally accepted
that conflict resolution starts with people identifying what it is that
is getting under their skin. Responding to such a statement with any
kind of put down (telling the person to not be so thin skinned is a put
down) is where I start to see a problem.

And yes, I think that if the bickering about castle and space continues,
the policy needs to be enacted upon pretty quickly.

Frank