 Administrative / Suggestions / 307
Re: Block user X from replying to a message by user Y
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Thu, 16 May 2002 16:24:00 GMT

"Tom Stangl, VFAQman" wrote:

Denying new threads would do nothing except make it harder for people to ignore
threads they have no interest in, since people would be replying to current threads

I'll add my voice in opposition to this proposal also. It will result in
a couple things:

- it will do nothing to stop the current debates, there's plenty of
existing threads to hang off of
- it will clutter other threads with debate (right now, many people open
a NEW thread in .debate to discuss issues raised in an on-topic post -
this is a good thing since it keeps the threads separate - remember, the
web view almost negates the compartmentalization of Lugnet since you
always see all posts in a thread, even if you have filtered some groups
out)

If we feel .debate is not constructive to the community, then let's just
get rid of it completely.

Frank

It would accomplish nothing but adding confusion.

LUGNET Admin wrote:

In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Scott Arthur writes:

It all seems to me that just because there is an off-topic debate area, it
makes it ok to talk about anything under the sun. (eh, that's a loose
summation, sorry)

As I have said before, I would like to see o-t.d changed so that new
threads cannot be started there.

That's not a bad idea. It could't prevent the general behavior, but would
discourage it, and make a point to those people who tried it for the first time.

-Suz

--
Tom Stangl
***http://www.vfaq.com/