 Administrative / Suggestions / 244
Re: Block user X from replying to a message by user Y
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Fri, 10 May 2002 20:53:40 GMT

In lugnet.admin.suggestions, William R. Ward writes:

It seems to me that certain recurring flamefests could be prevented,
or at least reduced in scope, if you could prohibit certain users from
replying to certain other users (and vice-versa)....

That's not a bad idea, and I appreciate all suggestions, but I don't think
it's really in LUGNET's 'style'. It seems a bit too personalized and
restrictive for us. There's too much potential for it to cut off good
conversation, be confusing on a daily basis, and messy as we decide the who
and whoms. Also, I don't like to do anything that makes it tempting for 'bad
guys' to create a new (false) identities.

Here's how I feel: Those people who consistantly follow up specific others'
posts with bickering already know about their 'problem' (if they don't, we
can point it out to them) and should learn to control it. It's not my job to
help them with their behavior problem. They can impose their own such
follow-up restriction if they wish.

I'm pretty sure I know what my solution will be... I haven't announced
anything yet, but I'd like to soon. Input welcome.

So far, it goes something like this:

-----------
New!  LUGNET "Bickering Prevention" Policy

When I catch someone at useless bickering, or flaming, or having off-topic
arguments in on-topic groups, or generating purely hostile noise that's a
nusiance to the community, I will take action.

The person(s) involved will receive a time-out or chill-out period during
which I hope they can calm down, "let it go," or take their argument into
e-mail, or to r.t.l.

This period would last at least 1 day, maybe 3, but probably not more.

Now, before Scott asks me:  ;-)
No, I won't write super-specific rules. or attempt to establish a "line" for
those who wish to push it. There's no clear way to define such things, so
it'll be based on common sense. and, I suppose,  my own opinion and judgement.

That means there'll be times when I'll miss some fight or another and maybe
it seems "unfair" to certain people. But... (sorry) that's just too bad. The
needs of the many outweigh those of the few (who're bickering ones, at
that), and I side with those visitors who come here only read the groups for
relevant -content. And I don't see how a "laws and policing" system could work.

-Suz