 Administrative / General / 12478
Re: Suspend me as well (was Susp. of Chris and Terry)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 5 Mar 2005 01:49:44 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

In lugnet.admin.general, Leonard Hoffman wrote:

   What I don’t understand Janey - is how does anyone see what Chris did as analogous to what is normally done here on Lugnet? When I read his post, I don’t see rhetoric, I don’t see criticism, I don’t see anything that could be construed as constructive at all. I don’t see a plea for change, I don’t see him raising an important issue to the admins. I see an entire post designed to hurt someone else. And not just a pot shot - it is a call for other people to come and hurt him too.

Okay, I was holding off replying, but the night is getting short, so I am going to try to explain this to the best of my ability... Sorry it’s a “novel”.

First of all, I can see many points of views/sides to this story. 4 that I will touch on, as for the others, I don’t want to break any confidences.

Lenny, from this post, it is clear to me that it is the contest that upset you and factored into your decision of placing the indefinite suspension. You ask me how (what Chris did) is this analogous to what is normally done on Lugnet? Well to me its simple, its not analogous at all because the contest was not held here. Firstly lets make it known, Chris is not the only one that has said undesirable things elsewhere about Lugnet. Im not saying the contest is right, and frankly, yes, it was mean spirited. But the contest was not held here, it was off this site, and somewhere completely else, a place that is not covered by the ToU. Lenny you are the first one that posted it here, (without an admin hat on) with a shame on you attitude, meant to make a point to Chris. I think that attitude was fair, you saw something you didnt like, and felt it wasnt anyway for Larry to be treated. That is more than valid! Does Chris deserve a spanking??? Probably. Does Chris deserve a stern talking to ?? Yes, I think he does. But truly the real question is, does Chris deserve a suspension? No Way! There is No doubt in my mind because the ToU covers only what is said here. The only thing about the contest that Chris said here was “is yes, its real”. He did not advertise it, in fact he not only removed the link in his reply, but he also shut down the contest when it was clear to him that it was a request by Lugnet. Certainly no one can be held responsible for something not even said here, or I am in deep trouble.

Larry and I also discussed this, when I could no longer convince him, he told me to go to Lugnet, prove why Chris is not breaking the ToU based on his “prayer post”. I will take him up on that challenge now. Actually this one to me is so simple. It’s what I like to call “set precedents - in other words, behaviour that has always be accepted here” To me the prayer post was just a “whooohooo” after Larry had already given up on the community by saying “I have better things to do with my time, frankly, than babysit a bunch of people who are trying to push my buttons for their own amusement.” Sadly, that happens all the time on Lugnet.... may I suggest, almost every “Im Leaving Post”..... someone says “Whooo hoooo, don’t let the door hit you on the way out”..... for many “I hate click-hinges/bley/juniorised parts”, someone says “Whooohooo - Give up the hobby, I will gladly take your bricks” etc..... these “whooohooo” comments, are just ppls way (usually) of saying, “It’s just some bricks, get over it”. In fact I know I recall that quote being posted just this week. Someone please explain to me what the difference between Chris saying “thanks lord” because he though Lar might leave any different to admins or members saying “go find your own sandbox, fly your kite elsewhere” to ppl that express being fed up, just as Larry did?? Not to mention the slamming Jake takes. Heck one time recently I saw a post directed to Todd, telling him “to take his hippie tree hugging ways home” (sorry paraphrased as I couldn’t find the actual post). I thought to myself..... wow, takes a lot of rudeness to punch a guy right in his own house, in fact I was insulted (at that moment if I was an admin, I would have thought about a public “spanking”). Then wow few minutes later, reality hits when someone told me they were great friends and it was just a joke.

As for Chris, I have defended it to the best of my ability. He has expressed to me, that he knows the contest was a bad idea. He knows that the time line of “events” clearly show that although what he did wasn’t smart, he technically did NOT violate the ToU. He has communicated with an admin. Until things are clearer and he hears back from him, he has promised that he will not post anywhere out of respect for Lugnet.

My own side. I do not see either post, the prayer or the contest a breech of the ToU. Larry and Chris have had words many times, once sadly, involving my own silly stunt. With that fact, and the fact that the contest was placed on a domain owed by me, I felt a protest was in order. Not because I think Chris actions were acceptable, only because I think it is detrimental to punish any one that did not break any stated rules.

   That to me is the big difference. Chris just wants to hurt Larry. Can you show me someone else who has written a post who’s sole purpose is to do harm?

IMO, the mud slinging, name calling and other forms of pure rude behaviour by a few members has few goals, mainly to cause harm or calm a fit of enraged ego. Sadly, name calling is a frequent occurrence.

   I think up Marchetti’s infamous reply to Jon. I see this as being on the same scale. People keep talking about being consistent - I personally can’t see how this is so inconsistent.

   Before anyone freaks that I’m trying to make new rules in a sandbox that doesn’t belong to me, or I’m whining or whatever else you want to claim, keep in mind, I had the backing of all the admins. in the discussion, except the one that vetoed me.

I agreed with you because I have enormous respect for you.

We talked at great lengths about this, and I hope that I made if very clear the respect goes both ways.

   I personally dislike the idea of anyone trying to get suspended on purpose. I seriously did not like it when Jamie Obrien did it, and I didn’t like it when you asked.

I know you didn’t like it, but I also appreciate the fact that you know that I was trying to make a serious point within the ToU without being inflammatory. Loud and clear, it is not the admins, it is not the members, it is the huge amounts of grey areas with in the ToU of which I am protesting.

   I have a difficult time understanding what your protest is about - that is, if it isn’t directed at me. I was a part of every major decision the Lugnet Admins have made over the past few months.

Lenny I have no protest with the admins. My protest is with the process of suspensions. Apparently I am not alone in feeling that Chris’ suspension was a knee jerk reaction. He was not asked to remove his posts yet when others that have sworn they have been given that option. The process then becomes confusing, to me, a prayer must fall somewhere under breaking the profanity rules. I know why you felt it was needed to be done, but anyone familiar with the history between the two of them knows that they both dropped the gloves a long time ago. Of the admins I talked to, none was familiar with the past transgressions between them. Also since this suspension and my request of a suspension involved Larry directly, I feel it truly is a conflict of interest and it would only be fair that he would not have been included in those decisions.

My plea for a veto is still on the table, I hope someone will take me up on it.

   If the aim is to get Larry to step down, then I’m going with him. I don’t want to be on a website where if someone who is so talented, knowledgeable, and committed is removed just because he is unpopular.

The aim is not mine to say, it was not my contest. But I for one don’t want any of the admins to step down, I appreciate all the work that is being done to make this “sandbox” free of cat droppings. This post was made with my best intentions. A reply to answer questions of an admin, and in hopes of working together towards a common goal.

Sincerely, Janey Red Brick