 Administrative / General / 12436
Re: Suspend me as well (was Susp. of Chris and Terry)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 4 Mar 2005 08:10:06 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, C. L. GunningCook wrote:

   Of course, you could go the other way and imposed a timeout/suspension on every single person that has made infractions on the rules in place (oops there goes half the membership), from every bit of profanity or insult or pompous remark. (I’m sure I would get mine then, because I am sure this post alone could be considered inflammatory to a degree.)

What I don’t understand Janey - is how does anyone see what Chris did as analogous to what is normally done here on Lugnet? When I read his post, I don’t see rhetoric, I don’t see criticism, I don’t see anything that could be construed as constructive at all. I don’t see a plea for change, I don’t see him raising an important issue to the admins. I see an entire post designed to hurt someone else. And not just a pot shot - it is a call for other people to come and hurt him too.

That to me is the big difference. Chris just wants to hurt Larry. Can you show me someone else who has written a post who’s sole purpose is to do harm? I think up Marchetti’s infamous reply to Jon. I see this as being on the same scale. People keep talking about being consistent - I personally can’t see how this is so inconsistent.

   Before anyone freaks that I’m trying to make new rules in a sandbox that doesnt belong to me, or I’m whining or whatever else you want to claim, keep in mind, I had the backing of all the admins. in the discussion, except the one that vetoed me.

I agreed with you because I have enormous respect for you. I personally dislike the idea of anyone trying to get suspended on purpose. I seriously did not like it when Jamie Obrien did it, and I didn’t like it when you asked. I have a difficult time understanding what your protest is about - that is, if it isn’t directed at me. I was a part of every major decision the Lugnet Admins have made over the past few months.

If the aim is to get Larry to step down, then I’m going with him. I don’t want to be on a website where if someone who is so talented, knowledgeable, and committed is removed just because he is unpopular.

-Lenny