 Administrative / General / 12480
Re: Suspend me as well (was Susp. of Chris and Terry)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 5 Mar 2005 03:27:12 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Leonard Hoffman wrote:
   In lugnet.admin.general, C. L. GunningCook wrote:
   Lenny, from this post, it is clear to me that it is the contest that upset you and factored into your decision of placing the indefinite suspension. You ask me how (what Chris did) is this analogous to what is normally done on Lugnet? Well to me its simple, its not analogous at all because the contest was not held here.

The contest is unique - it was a public attempt to remove someone from Lugnet. I feel that its flagrant-ness, plus Chris’s obmission that it was not intended as a joke, move it from the ‘only on this site’ situation.

I feel that it contradicts this portion of the ToU:

1. (do not) Restrict or inhibit any other user from using the discussion groups.

Oh My Goodness--so anything that happens on another website but pertains to someone who posts on LUGNET can get you ‘timed out’ from LUGNET? Is this an unstated-but-official policy? So if I were to post something in my blog at Sparky’s Space about my issues with, say Calum, I could get timed out?

   Firstly lets make it known, Chris is not the only one that has said undesirable things elsewhere about Lugnet. Im not saying the contest is right, and frankly, yes, it was mean spirited.

If said civily, I would have no problem and would accept it entirely.

It was said off LUGNET therefore shouldn’t play into any decision making process for LUGNET.

   only because I think it is detrimental to punish any one that did not break any stated rules.

Here we get to un-easy ground. Who has broken rules and who has not is up for grabs - it is the Admin’s job to make that determination, and we have. I don’t believe that we need to justify our decisions to anyone except other Admins.

If it’s uneasy ground, I say err on the side of not timeing out. Not to use an example from the law or anything, but if there’s a shadow of doubt, one should err on ‘the good side’. Further, if you want ‘the minions’ to understand, then you better get used to the idea of ‘justifying the decisions’ in the open, for all members to read. If we are all suppose to come to a better understanding so these things have less chance of happening again, then transparancy is the key--anything else will just disenfranchise the population.

   I know you didn’t like it, but I also appreciate the fact that you know that I was trying to make a serious point within the ToU without being inflammatory. Loud and clear, it is not the admins, it is not the members, it is the huge amounts of grey areas with in the ToU of which I am protesting.

Thank you for the clarification.

   My plea for a veto is still on the table, I hope someone will take me up on it.

I’m not going to get into specifics, but that isn’t exactly how the process works. Right now I am trying to get this situation resolved.

Thanks for your endeavours.

   I never meant “indefinate” to mean “permanent” - rather, “suspended currently, for how long to be decided upon later.” As I have mentioned various places, it is always my hope, and the hope of all Admins, that Chris and Terry can re-join Lugnet, and as quickly as possible.

   A reply to answer questions of an admin, and in hopes of working together towards a common goal.

Thank you Janey.

-Lenny

Dave K