 Publishing / 1537
Re: Announcing Brickshelf.com Gallery for everyone!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Mon, 14 Feb 2000 03:49:10 GMT

In lugnet.publish, Larry Pieniazek writes:
Heavily snipped
ditto.

brickshelf, after all, may be viewed as a (friendly) competitor to

I don't see it that way, although I can understand why some would.
I am not a big fan of duplicating other peoples efforts.
That's why I never made a set database, because a great one already
existed.

I was unaware that image hosting was in the Lugnet long-term plan.
It does seem to be a logical extension of the Brickshelf site,
which is essentially an image warehouse.  The gallery function grew out
of the need for people to host their personal images.  This was also
a great project for me to further develop my C skills with.

I guess you could consider the "Member Index" as a community which might
compete with the Lugnet community.  I expect the member index to become
irrelevant as soon as the "recent stuff" page is working.  I really had no
choice.  If people are going to upload images, they need verified accounts,
and you need some logical way to access/present that information.  The
member index is just a side-effect of the image warehouse, not the focus.
The focus is and always will be on the content.

KL