 Publishing / 1518
Re: Announcing Brickshelf.com Gallery for everyone!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Sun, 13 Feb 2000 00:28:15 GMT

In lugnet.publish, Larry Pieniazek writes:
Kevin, what drives the order of images in a particular folder? Right
now  it seems to be alpha.

True.

suggesting that they as well have unique numeric keys and you are
keeping what images go in what folders and what their names are, etc,
elsewhere.

True, the site runs off a database but...

The files are stored in a directory structure of

/gallery/username/folder/folder/image.jpg

which is why you can access the images directly using that path.

Given that, is it possible to:
- specify image order within a folder other than by using the name?

If the user wants to specify an arbitrary order, I would need to add
a sort_order field to the files table.  That's a bit of work but not
impossible.

- supply a prev and next URL on each image page?

That is easy and is very high on the priority list.

Finally, it says beta, I assume that if something goes awry you may have
to turn off access but should be able to rebuild without requiring
everyone to reupload everything, right?

It depends on what goes awry... If the database get's hosed, I could restore
a recent backup and force a "reload" command in each folder (which syncs
the db to the files, just as when you upload new files).
(I'm not storing all the images in one folder
with names like x983347473crffeedf.jpg if that's what you mean).

KL