 Publishing / 1514
Re: Announcing Brickshelf.com Gallery for everyone!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Sun, 13 Feb 2000 00:01:09 GMT

In lugnet.publish, Suzanne D. Rich writes:
TLC's actions would not stop me from adding this feature to our site. Seeing
their "avitar maker" made me a bit upset (partly because they did such a poor
job). But I don't feel threatened by it.

The issues you bring up here (Todd) are ones I remember discussing, but I
believed LUGNET was still developing along its original course.

-Suz.

I knew there would be some interesting issues around the whole minifig thing.
To be clear I *did* get the idea from Suzanne's minifig generator,
not the Mindstorms site.

However.... I never planned to have an interactive generator, rather just
a selection of (say 50-100) scans.  Since todd demonstrated how easy it is
to generate a large number of quality renderings, That would generate
better results than the scans (assuming he let me use them).  Otherwise
I guess I'll have to see if I can get my scanner to work again.  It went
kaput after I did the second fig!  The first was Timmy....

I did consider the trade dress issue as well, but since it's being used
in good taste, appropriate disclaimers should be all that is necessary.

If they had to be removed for whatever reason, it would be easy enough
to allow users to select their own icon (from their online images) as their
avatar.

KL