 Publishing / 1528
Re: Announcing Brickshelf.com Gallery for everyone!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Sun, 13 Feb 2000 17:55:00 GMT

On Sun, 13 Feb 2000 11:09:44 GMT, "Suzanne D. Rich"
<suz@baseplate.com> wrote:

However.... I never planned to have an interactive generator, rather just
a selection of (say 50-100) scans.  Since todd demonstrated how easy it is
to generate a large number of quality renderings, That would generate
better results than the scans (assuming he let me use them).

So, you plan to generate minifigs using the scans I did? (!)

I read that as "if Todd (assuming Todd has your permission to do so)
let me use them" I would use them.  Or, more broadly, "since this is
something people are already asking for, and since I've already put a
ton of work into putting together the other parts of this Gallery
which is probably the coolest thing people have seen in a long time,
sure, I'd make use of those images and save myself a little time, and
at the same time provide people with high-quality images - IF it's ok
with the person (people) who made the images."

I will not give permission to republish images taken from my site. See fine
print on the site:

"The Minifig Generator was created by Suzanne D. Rich  © 1997. LEGO® is a
trademark of the LEGO Group of companies which does not sponsor, authorize or
endorse this site. Images of LEGO® brand products found here, although recorded
by Suzanne D. Rich, still remain part of the LEGO Group's trademarked visual
identity. Suzanne D. Rich can not grant permission for any such images to be
downloaded or linked to. They may NOT be republished without permission from the
LEGO Group. Please help to keep their trademarks strong. Read and heed the LEGO
Group's Fair Play document."

I read what Larry wrote.  I'm not a lawyer, though, so I don't really
have much of an opinion.  What he says seems well-thought-out, but who
knows.

Not to mention the weeks of work I put into those images. They are not straight
scans. They were carefully adjusted in Adobe Photoshop to be precisely matching
in size, color and proportions.

And I'm sure we all can appreciate the work you've put into it, just
like we can appreciate all the work lots of people have put into
sites, programs, etc that we've all come to know and love.

**If** the Lego Group issues aren't really an issue, this seems to
mainly boil down to a sharing/respect issue.  We've seen Kevin (and
Todd and others) be respectful and sharing before, especially in the
interest of doing cool things for the community.  Not sure why this
would be very different, but then again, it's not my stuff or my work
that went into it, so I wouldn't presume to tell you what to do with
it.

I'll like the Gallery whether it continues to have one minifig image
for everyone or many images from which to choose, including those we
might provide for ourselves.  The functionality is what really
matters, although the decoration would make it more
interesting/pleasing to look at and work with.

--
The parts you want and nothing else?