 Publishing / 1505
Re: Announcing Brickshelf.com Gallery for everyone!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Sat, 12 Feb 2000 04:51:36 GMT

In lugnet.publish, Ben Roller writes:
[...]
Back to the minifigs though, do you think it would add a significant load-up
time for the main page if we all chose different figs?

Depends on the size of the images and the number of images per page.  The
neat thing is, with modern browsers and servers, a whole bunch of small
images totalling, say, 100KB can be transferred in roughly the same time
as one big 100KB image.

For example, here's a page containing 500 all-different randomly-generated
minifigs:

   http://www.lugnet.com/people/members/minifig-test/

Each minifig there is 28x50 pixels and the file sizes average 909 bytes each,
for a total download size of approximately 500KB, including the index page
and HTTP protocol overhead.  It's a slow-loading page, but then again there
are quite a few images.

--Todd