 Publishing / 1503
Re: Announcing Brickshelf.com Gallery for everyone!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Sat, 12 Feb 2000 04:36:43 GMT

In lugnet.publish, Kevin Loch writes:
In lugnet.publish, Barbara Sproat writes:
[...] Or how about allowing custom minifigs from the member to be
displayed? [...]

[...] otherwise there will be a large selection of figs to choose from.

Do you think this is safe (from a legal standpoint)?  LEGO has already done
this for members at the LEGO MINDSTORMS website.

We had planned to do this for LUGNET members, but then LEGO went and put
their own minifig generator to use:

   http://www.legomindstorms.com/members/index.asp?Userid=151
   http://www.legomindstorms.com/members/index.asp?Userid=154
   http://www.legomindstorms.com/members/index.asp?Userid=165
   http://www.legomindstorms.com/members/index.asp?Userid=168
   etc.

The reason it made us nervous when they did that is because it seems likely
(or at least possible) that people at TLC could assume that they had thought
up the idea first -- and that if we did it afterwards, that we must've stolen
[sic] the idea.  But the idea of an interactive minifig generator was first
demonstrated on the net way back in 1997:

   http://www.baseplate.com/toys/minifig/

So we've hesitated to incorporate things of that nature.  (Which isn't to
suggest that they'll never ever go in.)

Maybe we're just being overly cautious.

--Todd