 Off-Topic / Debate / 7959
Re: My ideas - Space, Castle, etc.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 6 Dec 2000 21:50:16 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mark Sandlin writes:
From: Thomas Main <main@appstate.edu>

Being a vegetarian, I would not want TLC associated with leather jacket
making.  I feel guilty enough about really liking the McDonald's sets,
the Shell Oil promotional sets, and for that matter...the ABS itself :)
How about a hemp jacket? ;)

So, by your logic, it's ok for me to buy the jacket if I feel bad about it
afterward? If not, then why do you keep buying LEGO if you truly feel bad
about the ABS being a petroleum product? Is it ok or not?

It's perfectly ok for you to buy the jacket and not feel guilty about it.  It
is not ok for me to buy the jacket at all.  Moral relavitism, but with some
self-created absolute boundaries.

Is Lego ok?  Yes, because I also drive a car and use electricity and in general
waste non-renewable energy without feeling *too* guilty.  But I want to examine
and move towards a more rational and ethical personal ethic regarding my energy
use.

If you really sit down and think about it, and feel guilty about every
little teeny thing that allows us our modern conveniences, you should
probably move out in the boonies and "live off the land.'

But I think it is better to engage in community and society and live with moral
and ethical contradictions while doing so.

We all assuage our guilt in different ways.

Guilt is a useless emotion unless it causes personal change.  It's a good
indicator that something's wrong, but I want to get to the point where I can
change positively without having to undergo guilt feelings.

Some people become vegetarians, some people join the Peace Corps.

I have adopted two dogs from the shelter, and I do volunteer design work for
the pet shelter as well. Not really Mother Theresa, to quote another Lugnet
member, but I feel like I'm doing something positive in these two doggie
lives.

Keeping positive energy and love flowing is what it's all about :)

--
Thomas Main
main@appstate.edu

~Mark "Muffin Head" Sandlin