 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 1235
Re: Community to design new LEGO T-shirts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Mon, 27 Nov 2000 04:44:44 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Kyle D. Jackson writes:
Just tossing in my ideas for the procedural stuff.  Have an
LUGNET email address set up specifically for design submissions.

Well, we could set up a special newsgroup/mailing list if that would be
helpful.  A email address at lugnet.com for design submissions would kinda
be a bottleneck, plus I won't really be getting involved in this except to
set up an order page on LUGNET if that's where LEGO Direct would like the
sales to originate.

Submissions should be supported with art where possible.  If not possible,
then volunteers could be tasked with turning the written submissions into
art.  Ultimately a web site would be needed to display the submissions.
They should be converted into some kind of standard form, so that all
shirts, etc., look alike except for the different print options.

Except for the ordering page, which is generated by a script given a bunch
of data and prices, I whipped up all of the LUGNET T-shirt pages

   http://www.lugnet.com/gear/tshirts/
   http://www.lugnet.com/gear/tshirts/C
   http://www.lugnet.com/gear/tshirts/E
   etc.

using LUGNET's page-content system:

   http://www.lugnet.com/publish/ftx/guide/

Someone sufficiently motivated could do something similar for new shirts --
unless LEGO has other ideas about page locations.

Put deadlines on the submissions, and then once ready, start on-line
voting.  Most votes win.  Take the top vote getters for submission to TLC
for "official approval", and archive the runner-ups for future products.
It probably makes sense to have proof examples made for review before
comitting to the volume.

One neat thing is that if LEGO chooses a place like CafePress.com, they can
do runs of one, or ten, or one hundred -- all the same to them.  I think the
overhead issues would be more of mind-share time of the people approving the
designs at LEGO.

(LUGNET doesn't yet have a generalized voting engine, BTW.)

I agree that the actual product artwork should be of very high quality,
using original source from TLC.  Ditto for the materials to be of very high
quality.  For motorsports souvenirs its not uncommon for T-shirts to be
US$30-50, and many are of a very good quality (unfortunately many have
really gawd-awful designs!).

Hmm...maybe if things go really well with a medium-quality place, LEGO might
consider re-making some of the better-selling designs at a high-quality place
and selling them mainstream at the LIC's or at LEGOLAND...?  :-)

[...]
A little less casual, I'd also vote for a collar shirt, full button length,
long sleeve, button down collar, pocketed, with an embroidered LEGO logo on
the left chest.

Hoh!  Yes!

--Todd