 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 1225
Re: Community to design new LEGO T-shirts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Sun, 26 Nov 2000 01:41:36 GMT

In lugnet.announce, Todd Lehman & Suzanne Rich writes:

Details to work out include:  how submissions would be presented to TLC
for approval, how much involvement or feedback there would be from TLC
designers, where and how the items would be promoted, price points, etc.
This post is mainly to make the announcement and gauge interest.

Just tossing in my ideas for the procedural stuff.  Have an
LUGNET email address set up specifically for design submissions.
Submissions should be supported with art where possible.  If
not possible, then volunteers could be tasked with turning
the written submissions into art.  Ultimately a web site would
be needed to display the submissions.  They should be converted
into some kind of standard form, so that all shirts, etc., look
alike except for the different print options.

Put deadlines on the submissions, and then once ready, start
on-line voting.  Most votes win.  Take the top vote getters
for submission to TLC for "official approval", and archive
the runner-ups for future products.  It probably makes sense
to have proof examples made for review before comitting to
the volume.

I agree that the actual product artwork should be of very high
quality, using original source from TLC.  Ditto for the materials
to be of very high quality.  For motorsports souvenirs its not
uncommon for T-shirts to be US$30-50, and many are of a very
good quality (unfortunately many have really gawd-awful designs!).

As for actual suggestions, here's mine.  I think shirts are
a very good idea.  At the moment they're about the only thing
I would buy.

LEGO-identifiable items I would like to see are:
1) LEGO logo
2) "Just imagine..." or similar slogan
3) LUGNET logo
4) 2x4 brick
5) 5 stacked bricks (red, green, blue, yellow, black)
a la the Olympic rings..., represents every country in
the world (with a white background).
6) Classic space logo (if the market's big enough).
7) *NO* flippin' website addresses or other dotcom
propaganda!
8) No little (C) symbols or notes either.  It's an
officially licensed product, put it on the label.

I like small yet identifiable shirt elements.  There
can be shirts with large images on them, just as long
as there's one without, please  ;]

Some of the racing T-shirts I own have nifty little
patches near the left sleeve cuff.  In general they are the
logo of the shirt maker or the product license owner.  I
think I've also seen them with a patch on each arm
(World Series style(?) but smaller).

My vote for a generic LEGO/LUGNET T-shirt would be:
- white
- 2x4 brick left chest
- "Just imagine..." slogan on back below collar
- LEGO logo patch on left sleeve
- LUGNET logo patch on right sleeve.

Alternate would be:
- white
- LEGO logo on left chest
- stack of five "Olympic" bricks on back below collar
- LUGNET logo patch on left sleeve
(- I can customize mine by sewing a flag patch on the
right sleeve.)

A little less casual, I'd also vote for a collar
shirt, full button length, long sleeve, button
down collar, pocketed, with an embroidered LEGO
logo on the left chest.

It would be nice to have the embroidered LEGO logo
available as an individual item, too.

I hope I'm not asking for too much.  This sounds
like fun!

KDJ

Kyle D. Jackson, LUGNETer #203, Windsor, Ontario, Canada