 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 1247
Re: Community to design new LEGO T-shirts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Sun, 3 Dec 2000 01:40:47 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Todd Lehman writes:

Well, we could set up a special newsgroup/mailing list if that would be
helpful.  A email address at lugnet.com for design submissions would kinda

That's probably a good idea.  That way it allows for some group
discussion (some good, some bad) about what's going on with the
design ideas.

Except for the ordering page, which is generated by a script given a bunch
of data and prices, I whipped up all of the LUGNET T-shirt pages

  http://www.lugnet.com/gear/tshirts/
  http://www.lugnet.com/gear/tshirts/C
  http://www.lugnet.com/gear/tshirts/E
  etc.

using LUGNET's page-content system:

  http://www.lugnet.com/publish/ftx/guide/

Someone sufficiently motivated could do something similar for new shirts --
unless LEGO has other ideas about page locations.

Wow, I don't think I've seen those shirt pages before.  But
yeah, that's exactly the idea I had in mind.

(LUGNET doesn't yet have a generalized voting engine, BTW.)

By that you mean an automated one, correct?

I agree that the actual product artwork should be of very high quality,
using original source from TLC.  Ditto for the materials to be of very high
quality.  For motorsports souvenirs its not uncommon for T-shirts to be
US$30-50, and many are of a very good quality (unfortunately many have
really gawd-awful designs!).

Hmm...maybe if things go really well with a medium-quality place, LEGO might
consider re-making some of the better-selling designs at a high-quality place
and selling them mainstream at the LIC's or at LEGOLAND...?  :-)

That would be neat!  Depending on what "medium quality" means, I
may not buy them in the first place though.  I would like to buy
ones that are the same quality as I would find in a clothing
store for all my other clothes (Sears, The Bay, etc.).  Something
with a high quality printing that won't crank/fade/peel in a
short amount of time.

A little less casual, I'd also vote for a collar shirt, full button length,
long sleeve, button down collar, pocketed, with an embroidered LEGO logo on
the left chest.

Hoh!  Yes!

Ya like that, eh?  :]  Even though its "less casual" than a
T-shirt, I wouldn't be able to wear one to work.  Our company
has a "dress code" that we cannot wear logos (except for
discrete ones from the clothing maker).  But I'm sure it'd
get plenty of elsewhere wear!  :]

KDJ

LUGNETer #203, Windsor, Ontario, Canada