 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 1232
Re: Community to design new LEGO T-shirts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Mon, 27 Nov 2000 01:22:52 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Mark Sandlin writes:
Hmmm, interesting. I wouldn't go with Cafepress, however, because they don't
offer shirts in any color but white and gray, and even then, they only offer
the printable area of 8x10 on the front (not sure about the back). One of
the most common requests when I made the minifig shirt was "Hey, can I get
just the CS <or subtheme> logo on a <certain color> shirt?"

I'm not sure if they're "set" on CafePress.com -- but Brad did specifically
mention it.

Out of curiosity, do you know of other shirt places online that do 100% of
the post-design work (taking the orders, taking the money, printing the
goods, shipping the goods, and cutting the checks)?

If you feel strongly that CafePress.com is the wrong choice, be sure to let
Brad know and suggest alternatives to him.

I'm certainly interested. However, I have to wonder if TLC is going to have
their designers make a few shirts with the official logos on them? Certainly
TLC wouldn't want us to make a crappy looking CS logo, for instance, when
they could simply apply the official art themselves. Would they consider
offering official logos for download (pdf, maybe?), at which point we could
use the logo to make a custom shirt? Just some questions to consider...

I do hope that they offer artwork in digital format -- pre-color-corrected
for the target printing device.  That would save them lots of time when they
quality-assure the products prior to making them available.  I remember when
I did the LUGNET T-shirts at CafePress.com, it took a few passes to get the
colors right -- and only when the colors came out well-matched did I make
the shirts available for sale.

I applaud the interest shown by TLC in the matter. Maybe some of my whining
did a little bit of good. ;^)

I do too.  It's a nice solution because it supports community interests and
desires in a way which preserves TLC's intellectual property.  LEGO is
showing that they respect fans' desires by doing this, and they're taking
what could have been a bad situation (what happened last month) and looking
to turn it into a positive situation for everyone.

--Todd