 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 1202
Re: Community to design new LEGO T-shirts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Wed, 22 Nov 2000 20:12:28 GMT

In lugnet.announce, Todd Lehman & Suzanne Rich writes:
Brad Justus of LEGO Direct approached us last week with a bold new idea:
He would like to allow the community to design its own collection of LEGO
branded items, to be sold online by The LEGO Company through a third party
such as CafePress.com, with the proceeds being donated to to LUGNET.

Thus, subject to approval by TLC, shirt designs could use certain LEGO
trademarks -- for example, the prominent display of a mini-figure or,
perhaps, a Wolfpack or Blacktron logo.  As the idea stands right now,
it's pretty open-ended.

Excellent idea.

I'm curious about the logistics, because this seems like one of the things
that could be done well, or could be done very badly.

I imagine (and would expect) that fans would submit designs (through
Lugnet?) and they would have to be approved by LEGO (and Lugnet?) before
they could be printed.

IMHO, good candidates for shirts:

various torso printing, to let us look like minifigs (classic Space logos, etc)
"Adult Fan of LEGO"
"LEGO toys: Recommended age: 0-99"
"www.lugnet.com - come play with the big kids."

Whole bunchs of other ideas will no doubt crop up.

James
(another step forward - Woohoo!)