 Off-Topic / Debate / 4182
Re: Rush: "Lego is a Tool for 4 year olds"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 4 Feb 2000 04:52:07 GMT

After looking at the article again my interpretation of what was said is
different from yours. No students were selected for the program because they
were black or Hispanic. It was an option given to students with average
grade performance whose counselors thought they 'had what it took' to make
it in college. It just happens that a number of those students were
minorities, but it was not a deciding factor. The test was open to all
qualified applicants. I don't see how this is discrimination?

The lawyer involved in the court case that ended affirmative action even
stated that there was nothing inherently preferential about the test, as
long as it was open to any student who wanted to take it. I saw nothing in
the article that indicated that white students were not allowed to take the
test.

The SATs come out sounding more biased as one of the people interviewed, the
admissions dean for the college, pointed out that you can easily predict
SAT/ACT performance using the student's social and economic background as a
basis, and that the SAT/ACT is a poor indicator of actual ability to perform
in college.

Rob

From: "Scott E. Sanburn" <ssanburn@cleanweb.net>

1) If this LEGO test to determine different skills was one of the
factors to determine certain characteristics that the colleges want,
fine. However, based on the the two articles that were posted, these
weren't for all, they were only for minorities, because they weren't
qualified otherwise. This is a sidestep to recent rulings on affirmative
action, which has been in the courts and is unconstitutional,
discriminating against anyone, including white people, is wrong. This is
what Rush was saying, and I agree with that. If you want to talk about
affirmative action, that is another debate, and I won't be joining it,
for I think it is wrong.