 Off-Topic / Debate / 4149
Re: Rush: "Lego is a Tool for 4 year olds"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 2 Feb 2000 23:01:34 GMT

Lindsay, have you ever been passed up for a job because you were a white male?
"Sorry, even though you are the most qualified, and out of work, we hired this
Hispanic guy with no experience and a family to support because the government
will pay half of his wages."

-Cheese

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:

  Sorry, just a nitpick:

"Scott E. Sanburn" wrote:

Again, I think this is just a way to get around the recent court rulings
about affirmative action, that is targeted to Hispanics and African
Americans. Which is both racist, and demeaning to minorities. They
should be encouraged to do well in school, and study for the tests, and
try to aim for the top, rather than going around the issues, and using
tests like this, with other people, to try to get them in. I hope the
court rules these out as well.

I just want to point out that the single largest group that has benefited • from Affirmative
Action and equal-hiring legislation is actually white females, both • numerically and
qualitatively.  What's to fear from adding a further litmus to the battery of • identifiers
already available for college admissions, especially if the discipline in • question needs
strong problem-solving and applied logic skills?

best,

Lindsay