 Off-Topic / Debate / 4118
Re: Rush: "Lego is a Tool for 4 year olds"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 1 Feb 2000 22:57:34 GMT

I also agree that something must be done to the current college entry exams,(
see that was progressive :)   ), but making the test how well you can remember
a Lego robot is not the solution. That just harms the more academically
intellgent people.

I would _disagree_ with you that the test to see how well a group of you can
rebuild a lego robot is a poor test.  I think that it is _just_ as valid a test
as a SAT or other "grade" test, it is _not_ the only thing that should be
tested for however.

This is a useful test, if used in the right context, however, it is just as
useless as a SAT or IQ test if used wrong.

I am _not_ in favor of quotas.  It should be on the best first, worst last
system, however, on the other hand, you have to have some way to judge, and I
don't think that SATs on there own are the best way to test someone to see if
they are collage material.  I don't even think that GPA's (high school marks)
are all that good of a test of the ability for someone to cope in collage.

I averaged around the 3.0 GPA (Sorry, but it was 74.5% up here!) in high
school.  Now I am in University (The Marine Institute of Memorial University Of
Newfoundland to be exact), and getting around the same marks as what I did in
high school.

If you have ever read "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintance", you may have
some idea of where a lot of my views as regards marks come from...I think that
they are a poor reflection on what someone _learns_ in a classroom at best.

Basing admitance to collage/university on marks or a single (accidemic) test
result to my mind is a false way of assigning where people should go.

James Powell