 Off-Topic / Debate / 4121
Re: Rush: "Lego is a Tool for 4 year olds"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 2 Feb 2000 00:09:16 GMT

Scott E. Sanburn wrote:

Rich Manzo wrote:

In lugnet.general, Chris Busse writes:
In Colorado they are testing using a LEGO building contest for
college admission:

http://www.denverpost.com/news/news0201c.htm

Originally found on slashdot:

(major snip)

Going to college has NOTHING to do with  "initiative,
leadership and an ability to work in groups ". Working in the real
world deals with these issues, and college is about as removed from
reality as anything.

This is true, for the most part, and for most majors.  However, for
CompSci, at least at my alma mater, there was a "team programming"
course where your grade depended on the output of your team.  I think
the architectural students also might have had some team projects, but
I'm not sure.

No argument about the statement that college is far removed from
reality.

--
Susan Hoover
Houston, TX