 Off-Topic / Debate / 4106
Re: Rush: "Lego is a Tool for 4 year olds"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 1 Feb 2000 21:45:13 GMT

Jeremy,

Sproaticus wrote:

You're assuming that the entire reason for these tests is to get around these
court decisions.

"With affirmative action programs under legal fire, colleges and
universities are searching for minority admissions procedures that
can withstand allegations of unfair preferences."

I am not assuming anything, this is a quote from the article. If this
was a fair test, everyone should be tested, not just minorities. We go
back to the affirmative action debate.

What if there was a larger, more important reason -- like
attempting to make testing the applicants more realistic and fair (see
below)?  It is a sad truth, that many extremely intelligent and gifted
individuals never get their chance to shine.  I'm all for any program that
will give folks just that opportunity.

See above.

And remember, this method of testing isn't policy; it's an *experiment*.  In a
*private* college.  I would hope that they can do whatever the hell they want
to with their admissions.

The University of Michigan is a private college? I don't think so.

Agreed, Tom.  The PSAT, SAT, ACT, etc. only test the applicant's ability to
take tests (a skill rarely needed in the Real World). In my high school, we
were required to take classes to teach us how to take these tests.  We learned
how to second-guess the answers based upon elimination, context, and cultural
biases.  Surprise -- I got a 34 out of 36 on my ACT.  My wife, who went to a
different school but whose knowledge and skills are about on par with mine,
got a much lower score.

But colleges use these tests, don't they? Why do people take them?

IQ tests (and the concept of IQ for that matter) have pretty much been
discredited for the same reasons -- a dependence upon test-taking skills and
cultural biases.  I never subscribed to someone else's "Standard" for these
so-called "Standardized Tests", but I was still judged by them.  How is that
fair, or equal, or even realistic?

So a LEGO test, given to minorities, is fair?

In fact, the Lego model of testing (pun intended :-) is much closer to a job
interview than it is to a college exam.  It exposes *a lot* about a person's
problem-solving abilities.

Which has nothing to do in college, however. You don't apply to college
to get a job, you go there to learn. Big difference.

So, giving an unfair advantage to people is being fair?

Would you please explain why it *wouldn't* be fair, instead of claiming that
it isn't?

It is targeted to minorities who don't perform to the college standard
admissions. I would have loved to have tests like this to get in.

You've lived a very unfair life;

Oh, yes, very unfair. >:( By whose standards? My parents raised me the
best they could, I did my work, got the good grades, earned every cent I
ever made, played by the rules, and got ahead in life, thank you. No one
gave me my life, I earned it. I competed, I played by the rules, and
succeeded. If you don't like it, tough.

i.e. life's been good for you.

Yes, because my parents cared and loved me, and gave me the opportunity
and drove me to succeed.

White • (Nothing to do with anything),
middle-to-upper-class, • (Lower class, actually)
male (Nothing to do with anything)
, educated,
(Another debate)
insured,
(Parents, my money, my jobs)

connected,
(Myself)

mobile, etc.
(Whatever this may mean)

There
aren't that many unfair strikes against you personally in the education or job
market.

You know, Jeremy, I see this as the typical leftist jealousy ring, and I
don't need to sit here and here how unfair life has been. I have come
from a broken home, and had many ups and downs in life, but unlike
others, I made the right decisions, and came out ahead. If you don't
like it, I don't care. This is America, and anyone can succeed, if they
try.

I wonder how different your attitude might be if you came from a
different ethnic background?

You know, if I was a minority, I would be mad that I would get
downgraded simply because I am a minority. I would try to excel myself
as best as I can. This is just another example of elitists thinking
minorities can't do as well, so we need to make up silly tests for them
to get in.

Downgraded from where, Scott?  The ACT and SAT tests are very degrading in and
of themselves, IMO.

IYO, maybe. But colleges still use them, so they have to have some
viability.

Besides, the test isn't to see whether they put the Lego
robot together, but the technical skills and interpersonal processes they
employed to do so.

You don't got o college to get employed, you go there to learn, and say,
yes I have a piece of paper, therefore I am qualified. Just because you
are a college graduate, doesn't mean you are ready for employment. It
means I jumped through the hoops and got a piece of paper.

Scott S.
Scott E. Sanburn-> ssanburn@cleanweb.net
Systems Administrator-Affiliated Engineers -> http://www.aeieng.com
Home Page -> http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Station/3372/index.html