 Off-Topic / Debate / 4100
Re: Rush: "Lego is a Tool for 4 year olds"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 1 Feb 2000 21:09:40 GMT

Kevin,

Kevin Loch wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Edward Sanburn writes:
I am a conservative, and I love the brick. Stereotypes of any trait
don't do justice, one that has been used in debate too much, IMO.

That's why I said "in general"  Obviously there are exceptions, and you
would expect to find them here on LUGNET.

Avoiding the law and court ruling is not innovating, IMO. It is ducting
the real issues. "Innovations" of this kind we can do without.

I guess we would have to look at the motive.  If the motive was in fact
to skirt the law then it's wrong, and probably not going to help anyone.

That's what the article said, which I mentioned in the quote earlier.

If however the motive was to select creative underachievers (which I was
in *school*), then it's a brilliant effort.   Of course if they don't fix
the rest of the educational process, those creative folks will still
underachieve in class and I'm not sure what the point is.

BTW, my opinion is that the college entrance exams are a joke.  Especially
when the average student can boost their scores significantly just by taking
a prep $$$ course.  Then, most of the Freshman year is remedial classes
to cover High School material.  Heck, the most useful class I took in
High School was *typing*.

Mine was probably CAD and drafting classes, along with history.

Again, I think this is just a way to get around the recent court rulings
about affirmative action, that is targeted to Hispanics and African
Americans. Which is both racist, and demeaning to minorities. They
should be encouraged to do well in school, and study for the tests, and
try to aim for the top, rather than going around the issues, and using
tests like this, with other people, to try to get them in. I hope the
court rules these out as well.

Scott S.
Scott E. Sanburn-> ssanburn@cleanweb.net
Systems Administrator-Affiliated Engineers -> http://www.aeieng.com