 Off-Topic / Debate / 4095
Re: Rush: "Lego is a Tool for 4 year olds"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 1 Feb 2000 20:51:19 GMT

"Scott E. Sanburn" wrote:

< cross posted to off-topic-debate >

Rich,

Rich Manzo wrote:

In lugnet.general, Chris Busse writes:
In Colorado they are testing using a LEGO building contest for college
admission:

http://www.denverpost.com/news/news0201c.htm

Originally found on slashdot:

Chris Busse

   Today on the Rush Limbaugh Program Rush was talking about the above issue.
Of corse Rush was disgusted that they were using Lego as a college entry exam.
Details about the exam- Students are given a box of Lego. Then they are shown
a Lego robot for 1 minute and they have to build the robot to the best of
their ability. Of corse Rush was disgusted that they were using Lego as a
college entry exam, as am I. but "LEGO is a tool for 4 year olds" I was
offended! :)

Hmm... Being a Rush fan and a definite AFOL, I can see the logic of his
thinking. Testing people on the ability to build anything, regardless of
how good they might be, is a strange way of testing anyone. If you
noticed the CNN ( Communist News Network BTW IMO ) article:

Being a Rush anti-fan (I think he's a bleeding moron), I don't agree (not just because he's
Rush, but because he's WRONG).  Using Lego in this way is an excellent test of spatial
skills, pinpointing people with the right skills for many engineering careers.

Now, based on these statements of both CNN and the Denver Post, instead
of testing everyone equally, based on test scores and their high school
preformance,

Give...me...a...break.  Standardized tests are ANYTHING but fair across the board.  The
excuse of "they're all we've got" doesn't cut it, and these people are trying to actually DO
something about it.

"initiative, leadership and an ability to work
in groups ".

BULL.  You obviously never took a class where teams were graded, not individuals.