 Off-Topic / Debate / 4159
Re: Rush: "Lego is a Tool for 4 year olds"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 3 Feb 2000 17:06:37 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

I know for a fact from personal experience that a high SAT score is not
a perfect predictor of college success (at a good college, where good

No one claims that it is a perfect predictor.  Not high schools, not
colleges, not even SAT.

study skills are important). Don't even ask me what my SAT score was,
you won't believe it. But it WAS NOT a good predictor. Not at all.

SAT is a pretty good predictor.  It maybe didn't predict well for you,
but on average it does.  And it's a hell of a lot cheaper for schools
and students to use than the LEGO exam would be.

I'd say anything that gives additional data about how likely a student
is to perform well is a good thing, and it strikes me that using LEGO as
a way to measure creativity, problem solving, or spatial awareness (to
name 3 of many more traits that could be tested for) is a good thing.

Yup, if not cost prohibitive.

My knee jerk reaction to anything Rush says is to believe the opposite.
Not 100% accurate, of course, but it works well for me.

If you take the word Lego out of the subject of this thread, you get a
much more accurate statement.

Chris