 Off-Topic / Debate / 4165
Re: Rush: "Lego is a Tool for 4 year olds"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 3 Feb 2000 19:57:56 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:
Now, what it means to prepare for success is a different question. The
classical liberal education arguably produces more well rounded citizens
than a 100% practically oriented "vocational" approach. Engineers need
to be able to write complete sentences, and literature majors need to
know a bit about how electricity works, in my opinion.

My college education (at the first "engineering" college in the US
(world?) - Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute) certainly focused on a well
rounded education. We were required to effectively take one humanities
or social sciences class every semester, plus many engineering classes
put emphasis on writing papers (with proper spelling and grammar) and
giving presentations. They also started to implement a writing standard
(I took a writing test which I think for later classes was going to
determine if students needed to take an "english 101" class).

Oh, for those who think that industry would be unable to educate people
in a manner which would be more that just producing wage slaves, one
might look into the history of RPI. Stephen van Rensselaer set up
several schools to teach the locals.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com