 Off-Topic / Debate / 4164
Re: Rush: "Lego is a Tool for 4 year olds"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 3 Feb 2000 19:45:03 GMT

Heartlessly snipped, as usual

Christopher Weeks wrote:

I can see that you're frustrated with this, but I don't understand.  I'm
serious when I don't follow whether you think it's a good thing that
colleges don't prepare students for the work world.  I can see arguments
for both sides of this issue.

I guess I'm mostly with Chris on this one.

Scott, you raise some valid points about flaws in the current system.

But short of scrapping the whole notion of regulating how colleges admit
people, which is my solution, and which is something which, as a
conventional conservative, you'd presumably be against, I don't see
where you've offered any alternatives to fix things.

Since we're stuck with publicly funded schools for some time to come, I
guess I'd take a two track approach. Advocate abolishing them on one
track, yes, but on the other, try to do whatever fixing we can. Testing
kids in a variety of different ways, with the goal being to predict
whether they will do well in a school, said school having been realigned
to try to focus on what is important to learn to prepare for success in
future life, seems a good idea to me.

And if we trot out a battery of tests that all tell us more (and
different) things about students than the SAT does, that has to be good.

Now, what it means to prepare for success is a different question. The
classical liberal education arguably produces more well rounded citizens
than a 100% practically oriented "vocational" approach. Engineers need
to be able to write complete sentences, and literature majors need to
know a bit about how electricity works, in my opinion.

--
Larry Pieniazek - larryp@novera.com - http://my.voyager.net/lar

Note: this is a family forum!