 Off-Topic / Debate / 4167
Re: Rush: "Lego is a Tool for 4 year olds"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 3 Feb 2000 20:54:38 GMT

Scott E. Sanburn wrote:
As I have said before, my issue is not with testing, it is with
affirmative action, and the thought that minorities are too stupid to
take certain tests. I have a problem with that, simply because there are
stupid and smart people in every race, culture, etc.

Ok, if the only discussion is about affirmative action, tell me, do you
believe that currently blacks and women as general classes of people
have the same opportunities as white males as a general class of people?

If you do, then what is your explanation for why women and blacks get
paid less for the same jobs, and blacks in particular are
underrepresented in better paying jobs, as a percentage of blacks?

If the reason is that their families don't step up to the plate to
properly encourage them, what is your proposal to give the kids the
opportunities their parents don't?

Also, please explain how these minorities can overcome the long history
of being treated as less capable? I think this DOES have an impact. I
think the greatest indicator for success is the level of success of
one's parents. If one's parents (or their parents, or their parents)
were slaves (in the case of blacks), how do you expect to break the
chain WITHOUT doing something for them that you don't do for whites?

And don't just answer that affirmative action is bad. You need to
propose solutions, or explain how your world view results in a better
system, or explain why the problems of minorities aren't real.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com