 Off-Topic / Debate / 4166
Re: Rush: "Lego is a Tool for 4 year olds"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 3 Feb 2000 20:00:05 GMT

Larry & all,

This whole set of posting is off from what I am arguing about, which is
affirmative action. I think discrimination, on anyone, is wrong, in the
context of jobs, education, etc. If we test people, shouldn't everyone
take the same tests?  We should all be under the same rules. making
tests easier / different simply because of the pigment in your skin is
wrong. If minorities can't seem to handle a test like the ACT, then the
schools they go to are horrible, that is why I am for school choice, so
parents can decide the track their kids can go. I am all for education,
finding the best people, and helping out as many individuals as a market
friendly environment can.

However, this is not the issue here (And everyone has been jumping on me
because of these tests, etc.). This entire thread is getting me more
upset, and I am trying to avoid it. This whole testing thing, IMO, is
another way to go besides affirmative action, and I think it is wrong.
If you want to address this, fine, I am not going to debate testing
techniques because that isn't what my issue is.

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

Heartlessly snipped, as usual

Christopher Weeks wrote:

I can see that you're frustrated with this, but I don't understand.

Nobody ever does, so why do I try?

I'm
serious when I don't follow whether you think it's a good thing that
colleges don't prepare students for the work world.  I can see arguments
for both sides of this issue.

I guess I'm mostly with Chris on this one.

Scott, you raise some valid points about flaws in the current system.

But short of scrapping the whole notion of regulating how colleges admit
people, which is my solution,

Yes, mine as well, but does it matter? Maybe we should should all fall
lockstep with the left, because to suggest otherwise causes so many
problems, like this thread.

and which is something which, as a
conventional conservative,

I am NOT a conventional conservative. I am who I am.

you'd presumably be against, I don't see
where you've offered any alternatives to fix things.

No, I agreed with you, but I think everything is so flawed now, what
does it matter? Nothing is going to change outside of a revolution. My
alternative doesn't matter, because it will never happen, and everyone
thinks it is wrong anyhow.

Since we're stuck with publicly funded schools for some time to come, I
guess I'd take a two track approach. Advocate abolishing them on one
track, yes, but on the other, try to do whatever fixing we can. Testing
kids in a variety of different ways, with the goal being to predict
whether they will do well in a school, said school having been realigned
to try to focus on what is important to learn to prepare for success in
future life, seems a good idea to me.

Yes, but the issue here isn't that, is it? It is adopting tests
targeting minorities to get them in, which is wrong IMO. If we want to
include leadership potential, etc. in tests to see if people can make
it, according to the college, fine. Everyone should take it, to get a
better idea of how people operate.

And if we trot out a battery of tests that all tell us more (and
different) things about students than the SAT does, that has to be good.

Yes. For everyone.

Now, what it means to prepare for success is a different question. The
classical liberal education arguably produces more well rounded citizens
than a 100% practically oriented "vocational" approach. Engineers need
to be able to write complete sentences, and literature majors need to
know a bit about how electricity works, in my opinion.

I have nothing against a blending with a liberal arts and technical
areas. I don't know where this came from. From my experience, college
has been nothing more, outside of my technical and a few liberal arts,
to be a politically left indoctrination center, with classes so biased
it would make centralists blush.

As I have said before, my issue is not with testing, it is with
affirmative action, and the thought that minorities are too stupid to
take certain tests. I have a problem with that, simply because there are
stupid and smart people in every race, culture, etc.

Scott S.
Scott E. Sanburn-> ssanburn@cleanweb.net
Systems Administrator-Affiliated Engineers -> http://www.aeieng.com
Home Page -> http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Station/3372/index.html