 Off-Topic / Debate / 4137
Re: Rush: "Lego is a Tool for 4 year olds"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 2 Feb 2000 13:23:19 GMT

To All,

OK, folks, since nobody got the ideas posting on this subject,
especially from me, let's see if I can clear this up:

1) If this LEGO test to determine different skills was one of the
factors to determine certain characteristics that the colleges want,
fine. However, based on the the two articles that were posted, these
weren't for all, they were only for minorities, because they weren't
qualified otherwise. This is a sidestep to recent rulings on affirmative
action, which has been in the courts and is unconstitutional,
discriminating against anyone, including white people, is wrong. This is
what Rush was saying, and I agree with that. If you want to talk about
affirmative action, that is another debate, and I won't be joining it,
for I think it is wrong.

2)I am not against teamwork, folks. Otherwise, I wouldn't be here at
AEI, or at other jobs in my career. I think testing for teamwork for
freshman admission is questionable, however. Later, in the degree
specific classes, I think it would be more appropriate.

3) Most college curriculums are a joke, and a waste of money. I spent
over 10,000 alone on classes I had in high school, even though I passed
a majority of the placement tests. I spent well over 5,000 alone on PC
classes. That's 15,000 on PC and classes I already had. A joke.

Also, the first two years are basically regurgitation of what you took
in high school. You don't use teamwork on most of these classes, and as
far as I can remember, you don't take teamwork tests. Sometimes, the
prof made us work in groups, and the people I got stuck with, I had to
do their work in order to get the good grade, and sometimes, I could
not, and I got a bad grade. I hate having my grade depend on slackers.
That is stupid as well, because my loans were riding on my grades.

College, especially for the first two years, in not realistic. If
colleges are shifting more classes to real world issues, etc, that is
fine. I am glad for it, and hope that regular K-12 schools do so as
well.  My best classes in my degree were the upper level design courses.
We did work in groups and the like, and it was more realistic, but I
spent a lot of money and time on things that didn't matter.

Anyway, see #1 if you still have questions regarding this subject, which
I think was off on a tangent, and no one really addressed it, and went
into the usual Rush is a moron string, which I grow tired of. There are
plenty of examples of morons in the world as it is, and I don't think
Rush is one of them.

This post is a classic example of addressing one point, going to
another, and never going back to what it was originally about. Then
again, that's off topic for you.

Scott S.
John DiRienzo wrote:

   I am glad I read this whole thread before jumping in.  I just want to say
that I agree with Robert.

--
   Have fun!
   John
Robert Brunskill wrote in message ...
Going to college
has NOTHING to do with  "initiative, leadership and an ability to work
in groups ". Working in the real world deals with these issues, and
college is about as removed from reality as anything.

This is changing. Businesses want people who know how to work together,
cooperate, and communicate. While a high grade student probably won't have
trouble getting a job, an average student from one school is more likely to
be passed over for a average student from a school known for producing
communicators and cooperators. The internet and telecommunications is
changing the way we work. Not only does that change require communication
skills, the jobs being performed are so complex that no one person can fill
a position. Work delegation and cooperation is more important than ever.
This is why our job market is so strong, companies need assistants.

Testing for this ability to build LEGO's with other students as
admission to college is plain wrong, and is rather distressing. College
admission should be a combination of school work, and drive, and not
with building a LEGO robot. This is a pitiful attempt on getting around
rulings of law, instead of addressing the problems of minorities and
their test scores.

The idea here is that traditional SAT's really only test raw knowledge. • They
test to see if you know the answer, or know enough to get the right answer.
The experimental testing is to try to test for traits and abilities that
cannot be found using multiple choice.

Rush points out the hypocracy of these admissions, and I am glad someone
does.

Before you just go agreeing with what Rush says, have a look at the • original
article. The Lego portion is only 5% to 9% of the test.

"The Lego test [they have 10 minutes to build a robot] is one of a dozen
workshop activities over three hours... Other activities include public
speaking, conflict-resolution drills and personal interviews performed • under
the watchful eye of high school principals, teachers, counselors and • college
admissions deans who evaluate the college hopefuls."

If that's not pressure to perform, I don't know what is.

And on top of that...

"After the battery of exercises, evaluators conduct half-hour interviews
with each student to identify qualities such as a willingness to seek help
if they're struggling academically. The interviews account for one-third of
their total score."

So now the Lego test counts for potentially as little as 3 1/3%, at most
about 6% of their entrance exam.

I think the most important thing that Rush and yourself are overlooking is
that it's still experimental. The test is being tested!

"[Bial] will track the students throughout their college careers, comparing
retention, grades, graduation rates and contributions to their campus
communities with all other students at the schools, as well as with other
students with similar high school grades and standardized test scores.

If the pilot program succeeds, Bial plans to open centers to conduct the
tests on any student who wants them in urban areas across the country."

So your fears are addressed right here...

"The tests could probably withstand legal challenges as long as whites as
well as minorities take them, said Terence Pell, a lawyer at the Center of
Individual Rights, a Washington-based non-profit law group that has sued
colleges over affirmative action."

And how does this plan compare to...

"Universities across the country are adopting different strategies to get
around tightening legal restrictions on affirmative action. Florida
announced in November that state universities won't consider race when
making college admissions but instead will take the top 20 percent of the
graduating class from every state high school to maintain diversity. In
Texas, the top 10 percent are eligible for admission."

Now THAT'S skirting the issue!

I think this quote sums it up pretty well...

"The more selective a college is, the more it needs to be in tune to
measuring motivation, drive, perseverance and adaptability - the things • that
really translate into college success."

As for the hoopla, someone else on Slashdot had a quote that sums that up
well...

"Naturally, the "Lego test" gets the headline because it sounds • outrageous."

And yes, surprise, surprise, Rush is just out to spout off about something
that sounds outrageous.

Rob

Scott E. Sanburn-> ssanburn@cleanweb.net
Systems Administrator-Affiliated Engineers -> http://www.aeieng.com