 Off-Topic / Debate / 4168
Re: Rush: "Lego is a Tool for 4 year olds"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 3 Feb 2000 21:02:24 GMT

Frank Filz wrote:

Scott E. Sanburn wrote:
As I have said before, my issue is not with testing, it is with
affirmative action, and the thought that minorities are too stupid to
take certain tests. I have a problem with that, simply because there are
stupid and smart people in every race, culture, etc.

Ok, if the only discussion is about affirmative action, tell me, do you
believe that currently blacks and women as general classes of people
have the same opportunities as white males as a general class of people?

Some do and some don't, just like everyone else. It depends on their
life choices, etc.

If you do, then what is your explanation for why women and blacks get
paid less for the same jobs,

That is debatable, but if they get paid less, that's something for the
EEOC to look at.

and blacks in particular are
underrepresented in better paying jobs, as a percentage of blacks?

To who? Does every job category have to have x this, y that, etc.? What
do you want, Frank?

If the reason is that their families don't step up to the plate to
properly encourage them, what is your proposal to give the kids the
opportunities their parents don't?

People that aren't responsible enough to raise their children should not
have children. I chose not to have kids.

Also, please explain how these minorities can overcome the long history
of being treated as less capable?

There are so many opportunities out there for everyone, I have seen it
time and time again. I don't treat anyone as less capable, I work with
minorities in many different jobs, so I know they are smart enough to do
anything. As a matter of fact, there are a lot of stupid white people
out there.

I think this DOES have an impact.

Well, I can't change human behaviors, I can only act and influence
others. I don't, I think it is stupid for people to do that.

think the greatest indicator for success is the level of success of
one's parents. If one's parents (or their parents, or their parents)
were slaves (in the case of blacks), how do you expect to break the
chain WITHOUT doing something for them that you don't do for whites?

Slavery ended, what, about 150 (give or take) ago? There are programs
out there, go to Flint, Michigan, and ask. I know there are. What do
suggest, BTW, Frank?

And don't just answer that affirmative action is bad. You need to
propose solutions, or explain how your world view results in a better
system, or explain why the problems of minorities aren't real.

It is bad, it is racist, and goes against everything this country stands
for. What proposal could I provide that you would like, Frank? Nothing
matters here, if it goes against the leftist mentality, no one likes it.
I never said there are no problems for minorities, but there are
numerous problems that everyone, including minorities, that they do
themselves. Looking strictly at quotas and others, IMO, are bad, whether
you like it or not. Until we can really look at the problems and issues,
I will think that, I don't have a perfect solution, but I know one
thing. Affirmative action benefits mostly white females. We need to look
at the program, and decide what to do with it. Most court cases are
ruling against it, and I think it is a good thing. Racism, even against
"evil white males", is wrong, and should not be supported.

Scott S.
Scott E. Sanburn-> ssanburn@cleanweb.net
Systems Administrator-Affiliated Engineers -> http://www.aeieng.com
Home Page -> http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Station/3372/index.html