 Off-Topic / Debate / 4101
Re: Rush: "Lego is a Tool for 4 year olds"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 1 Feb 2000 21:10:40 GMT

Frank,

Frank Filz wrote:

Scott E. Sanburn wrote:
Now, based on these statements of both CNN and the Denver Post, instead
of testing everyone equally, based on test scores and their high school
preformance, they are trying to skirt around recent rulings which say
affirmative action is unlawful, and are trying to find tests that get
around this issue. This is why the LEGO test is used. Going to college
has NOTHING to do with  "initiative, leadership and an ability to work
in groups ". Working in the real world deals with these issues, and
college is about as removed from reality as anything.
Testing for this ability to build LEGO's with other students as
admission to college is plain wrong, and is rather distressing. College
admission should be a combination of school work, and drive, and not
with building a LEGO robot. This is a pitiful attempt on getting around
rulings of law, instead of addressing the problems of minorities and
their test scores.

What's so wrong about colleges looking for people with "initiative,
leadership and an ability to work in groups?" You yourself said that
those are real world issues. Why shouldn't colleges be preparing people
for the real world?

Yes, but I repeat myself many times: Since these people that are taking
these test, mostly Hispanics and African Americans that would not
normally get in due to the admission policies (I took this from the
article, BTW), they use this test to boost them into the college. I
think this is wrong. Everyone should be tested the same, regardless of
race, class, etc. I think this is what Rush is trying to say here. The
college is sidestepping this  issue, and it is wrong, whether they use
LEGO elements or oranges.

Most colleges *don't* prepare most people for the real world. I have
seen this many times, my classes with professors that have never had a
real job in the profession they are teaching, etc. The closest I came to
the real world was the technical courses I took. All the other classes
were not.

Scott S.

Scott E. Sanburn-> ssanburn@cleanweb.net
Systems Administrator-Affiliated Engineers -> http://www.aeieng.com