 Off-Topic / Debate / 4161
Re: Rush: "Lego is a Tool for 4 year olds"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 3 Feb 2000 16:31:11 GMT

Christopher Weeks wrote:

Did you tease mynah birds Larry?  Where did the profit come in?

There was a bar,(1) we went to when we went on Copper Country cruises.
Among the things they had in this bar were an amazing gun collection
hanging in the rafters (something like over 1000 guns including some
very rare machine guns and stuff), and a mynah bird.

This mynah bird would not speak unless you paid it. When you did, it
would swear a blue streak at you (no doubt influenced by previous
generations of miners and college students). But you first had to hold
up a coin that it would grasp in its beak and drop into the cage.

We discovered that if you went there after a rival fraternity had been
there, the bottom of the cage would be covered with quarters and dimes
(and with bird waste, but I digress). We also discovered that it liked
brand new shiny pennies better than quarters, and if you held up a shiny
penny, gleaming with that wonderful copper lustre, it would pick up a
quarter or dime and throw it out of the cage in order to entice you to
give it the penny. (this was a copper mining town, after all, it was
just showing loyalty to the home team metal, as it were)

Since Gay was a bit of a drive, we usually would have made a few stops
prior to getting there, and so this was tres amusing to us. (2) The
material on the quarter didn't usually bother us, we just used the
quarters to buy more beer so it was the bartenders problem. Besides the
bird usually picked the cleaner ones (first). So we always brought a
roll of brand new pennies with us. The bank loved us. Not.

Note carefully that while this is teasing for fun and profit, I really
don't think the bird got any deep psychological harm out of it, after
all, it got what it wanted more (copper) and we got what we wanted more
(drinking money), so that seems a fair and free exchange of value to me.

1 - the Gay bar. We always got a rise out of newbies (and parents) by
telling them we were taking them to the Gay bar... (3) Gay is a little
turn of the century mining town on the Keewenaw, maybe 100 people live
in it. it has one bar, named after the town, hence the Gay bar.

2 - for two reasons, first that we could get this bird to do that at
all, and second that it was the Tekes or Sig Eps money we were getting.
Apparently no Tekes ever figured it out. Ronald Reagan was a Teke, you
know...

3 - yes, rather neanderthal and non PC humor.
--
Larry Pieniazek - larryp@novera.com - http://my.voyager.net/lar

Note: this is a family forum!