 General / 47426
Re: Jake did good Thanks!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 6 May 2004 23:41:13 GMT

I think you may be missing some subtilty in the argument here. My son may be a good example of this. He is definitely drawn to certain colours and exciting images when shopping. However... when building his own creations he does not seem to care in any way about matching colours... only in creating what he is building. He is still young and I’m sure others have different experiences with their children etc. etc.

When I was young my Lego buddy was like this, colour didn’t matter, it was the shape and technical abilities of the model he was interested in, for myself the colour was an important element in designing a model. I think Kids just vary.

However the point I am
   trying to make is the following. TLG may believe that the new colours will help draw customers to their products leading to purchases. Many of those same customers may not notice (or care if they do) that the new colours do not match their existing Lego. Hence... this would be beneficial to TLG. (as I’ve said before... believing something is a good idea and the reality of that idea being good are not necessarily the same thing).

I think this is a good point and actually fits with the ‘preferred by focus groups’ line. When you are choosing to buy something there are many more elements that influence you that you conciously think of.

Having seen the new HP sets on the shelves the photographs on the front of the boxes do seem to have a more attract colour balance. (mind you they could have just done this by altering the colour balance of the photos instead of chaning the bricks!)

Jeff

   Lots of subtle color changes occur in products to increase their visual appeal. Those changes aren’t specifically advertised and consumers might not even consciously notice it. And yet the new product is visually superior to the old one. Customers may not be able to pinpoint exactly why they find the product more appealing because they are not out there doing side-by-side A versus B comparisons, but nevertheless the effect is tangible and important.

Think how many times the Coke packaging has changed (ignore new coke for now!) and Pepsi even more. You don’t really notice as it still retains its ‘brand qualities’ and has been subtle, also you don’t keep the product to compare it to the new one. However I do think here Lego HAS taken its eye off brand quality, and also it is in the ‘collectors market’ in the sense that it is a system that is designed to allow combining of sets.

Tim