 General / 47688
Re: Jake did good?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 12 May 2004 16:20:18 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jake McKee wrote:
In lugnet.general, Reinhard "Ben" Beneke wrote:

I even do not agree with the former headline: Jake himself told he loves the new
grey and the pale minifigs. How can I suppose he did his best to work in the
interest of the fans of the "true" LEGO brick (1963-2003).

Wow. Not really sure how to respond to this. It took me quite a while to decide
whether or not to reply to this post, but it's hard not to take something like
this personally.

Make no mistake, my role is a dual one - to take the AFOL needs to the company,
as well as the company needs to the AFOLs. I'm not sure anyone could honestly
argue that a) this doesn't make sense, or b) I've ever tried to hide this.

My personal thoughts on the subject aside, I simply do not agree that I'm
incapable of going to bat for the AFOLs because I don't agree 100% with the AFOL
view of an issue. That's like saying that if you're not 3 years old, you're
incapable of designing DUPLO sets.

Which brings us the issue of what my opinions on the color issues (new colors
and flesh mini-figs). To be clear Ben, what I told you was a story about how I
built the new Hagrid's Hut and was surprised with how much I liked the new
colors. I also said that I was as concerned as anyone with the sorting, matching
and obtaining issues, as I have a large collection of the old colors too.
Further, what I said about the new minifigs was that I agreed whole-heartedly
with the decision to move into doing real characters with the skin tone
appropriate colors, and that I was happy to know that the generic sets would
remain yellow. In an increasingly multi-national, global world, I think it only
makes sense. That's my personal opinion only, and am happy to discuss more
offline.

Now back to your question/concern: "How can I suppose he did his best to work in
the interest of the fans of the "true" LEGO brick (1963-2003)"?

Well, that's really up to you. Either you trust me, or you don't. I work long
hard hours including many nights and weekends, I have huge goals, tiny budgets,
and I go round and round with more colleagues than I can count. Sadly, 90% of my
job will go unseen by the AFOLs. I've had a personal mantra that I feel I've
done a good job of keeping: Keep an open and honest relationship with the fans.
Please don't mistake my living up to this mantra by sharing the company thinking
on decisions or my personal view on current events as anything more than trying
to live up to my mantra.

Just because I'm telling you why the company did something doesn't mean I'm
being a corporate lackey. Just because I'm more than willing to have a
discussion about current events doesn't mean I'm trying to convince you your
opinion is wrong. Just because the color change wasn't reversed doesn't mean we
don't undertsand or that we weren't listening. And just because you can't see
what I do day to day doesn't mean that I'm not doing my level headed best to get
you what you need and ask for.

I apologize for what's certainly going to lead to yet more posts on the subject,
but I felt it was important to reply to this.

Jake
---
Jake McKee
Webmaster - BIP
http://www.bricksonthebrain.com

I remember how excited I was when you came into LUGNET with official postings
from TLC itself.

How sad it is to read posts like this now: depressing, self-defensive posts that
you have been made to feel compelled to write.  How low some people have gone;
how much for granted your presence, input, and output has been taken.  It's even
gone beyond that, really.  It's gone to personal levels, where you've been
directly, personally accosted.

Please don't allow some of us to kill the messenger, Jake!

For my part, I read everything you write with appreciation, and while not
everything I've read has been good news, I'm glad we at least have you to
deliver all tidings good and bad.

--Dave