 General / 47272
Re: Jake did good Thanks!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 5 May 2004 22:53:45 GMT

lugnet.general, Richard Morton wrote:
"Ted Michon" <ted@scltc.org> wrote in message news:Hx9DrH.JCy@lugnet.com...
It's past time to get beyond debating the "why" of the color change (and
especially haranguing Jake about it). I don't see any reason not to take Jake
and the TLC at their word that the new colors work better with the core market
at point of sale: at the toy store.

We have to accept that for every 10,000 bricks one of us LUGNET types buy (and
to tell you the truth, I don't think there are anywhere near 1000 of us who buy
10,000s of bricks each year), that TLC sells 10,000,000 to kids who don't know a
stud from a tube. That's just the way it is. The core LEGO market
is/was/always-will-be kids. We don't buy as much LEGO per year as parents of
kids who buy the
one-set-of-a-lifetime-that-lives-in-the-closet-until-the-kid-leaves-home.

What I think TLC did wrong was to retire parts of a 30 year old system. That's
the bad idea. Jake's announcement of a limited rebirth really mitigates that.
How much depends on how accessible the new parts are.

Everyone mentions New Coke. Nobody mentions that when after 6 months the Coca
Cola company relented and announced they were bringing back Classic Coke that
they kept New Coke. Within 12 months, you couldn't find a New Coke to save your
life.

I'd like to think that we too could vote with our purchases here, but the
problem is that there will be a ton of new product and a limited supply of old
and that as a group we have about zip purchasing power. A whole lot of LEGO is
sold to people who don't have any to match or who don't know enough to care or
who, knowing, simply don't care. Indeed, there are members in my LTC who don't
see what the fuss is about (an LTC with $10,000 worth of old dark gray track).

But I say thanks, Jake, you did good!

-Ted Michon

President

SCLTC

Here here!

Richard

I have to agree with nearly all the sentiments expressed here.
Jake is not personally at fault here and (note: my own unsubstantiated opinion)
probably none too impressed by it all himself as he a is an AFOL as well as an
employee. Thus going over the same things again are pointless, lets try to be
constructive and help Jake.

Tim