 Announcements / 2521
Subject:
Jake did good Thanks!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 5 May 2004 20:47:41 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

It’s past time to get beyond debating the “why” of the color change (and especially haranguing Jake about it). I don’t see any reason not to take Jake and the TLC at their word that the new colors work better with the core market at point of sale: at the toy store.

We have to accept that for every 10,000 bricks one of us LUGNET types buy (and to tell you the truth, I don’t think there are anywhere near 1000 of us who buy 10,000s of bricks each year), that TLC sells 10,000,000 to kids who don’t know a stud from a tube. That’s just the way it is. The core LEGO market is/was/always-will-be kids. We don’t buy as much LEGO per year as parents of kids who buy the one-set-of-a-lifetime-that-lives-in-the-closet-until-the-kid-leaves-home.

What I think TLC did wrong was to retire parts of a 30 year old system. That’s the bad idea. Jake’s announcement of a limited rebirth really mitigates that. How much depends on how accessible the new parts are.

Everyone mentions New Coke. Nobody mentions that when after 6 months the Coca Cola company relented and announced they were bringing back Classic Coke that they kept New Coke. Within 12 months, you couldn’t find a New Coke to save your life.

I’d like to think that we too could vote with our purchases here, but the problem is that there will be a ton of new product and a limited supply of old and that as a group we have about zip purchasing power. A whole lot of LEGO is sold to people who don’t have any to match or who don’t know enough to care or who, knowing, simply don’t care. Indeed, there are members in my LTC who don’t see what the fuss is about (an LTC with $10,000 worth of old dark gray track).

But I say thanks, Jake, you did good!

-Ted Michon

President

SCLTC

Re: Jake did good Thanks!!
[...]

Here here!

Richard

Re: Jake did good Thanks!!
[...]

I have to agree with nearly all the sentiments expressed here.
Jake is not personally at fault here and (note: my own unsubstantiated opinion)
probably none too impressed by it all himself as he a is an AFOL as well as an
employee. Thus going over the same things again are pointless, lets try to be
constructive and help Jake.

Tim

Re: Jake did well. Thanks!!
[...]

Absolutely, we have to help, not hinder!

--member 1893

Re: Jake did well. Thanks!!