 LEGO Company / 1061
Re: Comment Now at LEGO.com: New Grey and Brown
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego
Date:
Thu, 11 Mar 2004 15:42:47 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

In lugnet.lego, Christian Treczoks wrote:
Hi, Jake,

Jake McKee wrote:
In lugnet.lego, Christian Treczoks wrote:
And 99% of the posts will go straight to the bin.
Boy... you're harsh! :)
Well, I just took into account how the whole issue has been handled so
far. Decisions from the corporate ivory tower were surrounded by a cloud
of holyness (Mantra: The colour change will not be reversed, the colour
change will not be reversed,...), and, as such, are not to be criticised.

Obviously - and I am very happy about this! - this seems to have
changed, and, for once, this is a good change.

Good to hear you're happy about this!

I'm not sure that I would agree that there is a "cloud of holyness" surrounding
this issue. Just because we've said that we're not reversing the decision,
doesn't mean that we're stupid or clueless.

I know people are quite upset with the color change, and for valid reasons. But
we've made a decision (right or wrong is another thread) based on real thought,
and we have to stick with it long enough to see what happens over all. Remember,
Bionicle was flamed more months (perhaps years) here, and turned out to be our
best selling product of all time.

(And before I start a flame war directed straight at me, no, I'm not saying one
way or the other what the success of the color change is or is not going to be.)

If you review the message boards in general, you'll see that we don't often
decline posting Message Board posts, and rarely edit them. When we do it's for
inappropriate content (cuss words, violent language, incomprehensible language,
etc.) and not ideas that we like or don't like.
Well, the Lego boards are usually filled with positive reactions (some
of them look actually quite artificial to me, as if an adult tried to
write kiddy-style), and they are not exactly user friendly (at least not
for regular, professional use), so I don't browse them as regularly as
the relevant boards (Lugnet, 1000steine).

I've been involved in this project since the very beginning (I helped design and
implement the boards). I've never once heard anything like that. To be 100%
clear: We are in not in any way EVER "faking" posts to be more positive, or
editing messages to be more "cheerleading".

The issue is, as you mention, the boards are more kid oriented. They are on
LEGO.com, so kids are the majority. If you check any other kid oriented
discussion board on the Web, you'll see a similar style of interaction and
conversation style.

It's not surprising, or upsetting that you don't visit the boards regularly.
After all, a non-German speaker probably doesn't hang out on 1000steine that
much. That's no reflection on 1000steine, just means that it's not the right
place for them to spend time.

So far, I was unable to locate *any* reference to the colour change as
far as I've browsed the boards, and I considered this as a hint on the
editors attitude to this topic, alongside the long time it took for this
   issue to become a topic at all.

First, there was another post on the Message Boards  (linked to in another part
of this thread) that deals with the color change.

Second, does this speak more to the fact that we are overbearing, filtering
corporate ogres or to the fact that the boards, being vastly kid oriented
haven't noticed or don't care about the color change? (Or some other reason
besides the ogre one)

Keep in mind that the non-AFOL consumer (especially the kids on the boards)
probably hasn't realized there IS a color change. Many of this year's products
aren't out yet (Harry Potter for instance, isn't out until the movie time around
May). If they have the products, it may take them a while to notice a
difference. If they notice a difference, I'm not sure a large percentage will
care. Think about what the creations kids build typically... many many of them
are multi-, mixed- color. Browse the galleries in the online LEGO Club, and
you'll not see much color consistency.

(Again, I'm not discounting the fact that this is an issue for you. Just
offering another view to this particular topic that we're filter based on
opinions we don't like.)

For declining and editing I can only take your word, as one usually
never sees the original. Removing inappropriate content as you defined
it is acceptable in an environment targeted at kids, though.

Yes, you never see the original because if you did, that'd be an unmoderated
board... not kosher for the LEGO site, or a kid audience.

In fact, check out the link you reference now. I just noticed the moderators
have pushed through several posts...none of them are "LEGO cheerleading".
After several hours, the posts appeared - even mine - and I stand
corrected. I admit I made a mistake, and please accept my apologies. And
believe me, I am really happy to stand corrected on this issue.

No problem! But it's a good example of having some faith that we aren't just the
money grubbing fools that people expect us to be because we're a company.
Companies aren't just big, cold, faceless organizations. Companies aren't
inherently evil, they're groups of people trying to do best they can in business
and in life. (At LEGO, more life than I've ever seen at any company, ever)

Jake
----
Jake McKee
Community Liaison