 LEGO Company / 1070
Re: Comment Now at LEGO.com: New Grey and Brown
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego
Date:
Thu, 11 Mar 2004 20:04:03 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

"Purple Dave" <purpledave@maskofdestiny.com> wrote in message

[ ... snipped ... ]

That brings up a very important point that I'm shocked noone has asked • about
before.  If the kids don't notice it at all, or don't care one bit when • they do,
and the AFOLs are (for the most part) vehemently opposed to it...who • exactly was
the color change aimed at (my guess is still that it was aimed at the • accounting
department, and that the new colors are cheaper to produce than the old • ones,
because all of the official reasons that we've heard fall apart either • under
close examination or by complete lack of evidence)?

[ ... snipped ... ]

I made a very similar point a couple months ago.

http://news.lugnet.com/lego/?n=805

If we ever get hear the real story I suspect this will show up as a cost
cutting measure.  Nothing else passes the laugh test.  Even though we have
been told this was a carefully calculated change with lots of research, LEGO
has not demonstrated any evidence to the contrary through their marketing
campaign.

Why don't new S@H catalogs have a big splash across the cover touting the
release of new and improved colors?  Same for the LEGO.com web site?  Why
don't the new sets feature a sticker or a splash which says something like
"New and improved grays and browns inside!".

To the best of my knowledge, any maybe someone who was there can state
otherwise, LEGO didn't play up the color change at the Toy Fair either which
doesn't make sense if the change was made to improve the product line.

My $0.02, YMMV.

Mike

PS:  Have I stopped buying?  No.  I am very much looking forward to some of
the new sets, particularly the Knights bus.  I hope the color problems with
the Kight's Bus are resolved before it shows up in stores though.

Mike Walsh - mike_walsh at mindspring.com