 LEGO Company / 1077
Re: Comment Now at LEGO.com: New Grey and Brown
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego
Date:
Fri, 12 Mar 2004 17:31:26 GMT

In lugnet.lego, David Laswell wrote:
In lugnet.lego, Dave Schuler wrote:
For various reasons I'm almost wholly untouched by changes to LEGO colors,

Somehow I'm not surprised...

Am I that transparent?  8^)

The Galidor series was a great concept, with better excecution than I would have
expected out of any other toy company.  It fit perfectly with the non-violent
focus of TLC, despite the fact that the Ooni got hit with a listing on the Dirty
Dozen toy list (or whatever it's called).

I didn't know that--what criterion put it on the list?

It was only missing one thing.  A market.  If the exact same TV show was
done twenty years ago, it would have probably succeeded, but it just doesn't
come anywhere close to the kind of stuff that's been popular for the last
five years or so.

I can agree with that.  The modular-figure concept meshes well with Micronauts,
which I recall to have been quite popular during their heyday.

Without an audience for the show, the toy line was doomed
from the start, no matter how well it was developed.

Yeah, the folks in Market Research really kind of fumbled on that one.  And for
that reason, it doesn't seem strange to me that AFOLs have less-then-absolute
faith in TLG's vision regarding other new product directions (though I applaud
the signs that TLG"s color decision was apparently not writ in stone.)  Change
may sometimes be good, but change-back is sometimes better!

Dave!