 LEGO Company / 1072
Re: Comment Now at LEGO.com: New Grey and Brown
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego
Date:
Fri, 12 Mar 2004 01:57:10 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Dave Schuler wrote:
For various reasons I'm almost wholly untouched by changes to LEGO colors,

Somehow I'm not surprised...

but I would suggest that, although Bionicle is a smash hit, other significant
departures, such as Galidor and ZNAP, were remarkably unsuccessful.

Some Train-heads still like ZNAP for bridge-building purposes, but I don't even
remember hearing about it prior to the release of BIONICLE.  By then it was
pretty much dead, and that suggests that it wasn't marketed the way it should
have been.  So does the fact that I can't remember ever seeing it listed in a
pack-in catalog.

It's not sufficient for TLG to see the gray and say "It Is Good."  TLG has
declared other things "Good" in the past, and, the last time I checked, my
local TRU had half a dozen "Nick" action figures on clearance for $0.99 a
piece.

The Galidor series was a great concept, with better excecution than I would have
expected out of any other toy company.  It fit perfectly with the non-violent
focus of TLC, despite the fact that the Ooni got hit with a listing on the Dirty
Dozen toy list (or whatever it's called).  It was only missing one thing.  A
market.  If the exact same TV show was done twenty years ago, it would have
probably succeeded, but it just doesn't come anywhere close to the kind of stuff
that's been popular for the last five years or so.  Without an audience for the
show, the toy line was doomed from the start, no matter how well it was
developed.