 Color / 25
Re: Jake did good Thanks!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color
Date:
Mon, 10 May 2004 04:10:50 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

In lugnet.color, Terry Prosper wrote:
   In lugnet.general, Ted Michon wrote:

   We can all keep ranting about how we don’t like it or we can realize the decision has been made and move on.

snip

   I have every reason to think that Jake’s unique position at TLC as an advocate for the serious LEGO builder (I personally dislike the term AFOL) is as much due to Jake working to get the company to create the position as to being selected for the job. It’s not a matter of not “shooting the messenger” but more of not shooting our best and only friend while he’s trying to help us.

-Ted

As much as I’d like to agree, I guess that if Jake likes the new color and the new Minifig flesh heads, then he should have asked for someone else to do the job, since he can’t defend an opinion he doesn’t share as well as his own position.

That doesn’t make sense to me. “Only people who completely agree with my point of view should be allowed to represent the AFOL community to LEGO.” Jake has said repeatedly that he gets it and is working hard to bring your concerns to the right people within the company. The fact that he has said he likes the colors in some circumstances (as do I, BTW) does not categorically mean he’s incapable of being an effective liaison between “us” and “them”. The color change means far less to me than most people here, it seems, regardless of the tens of thousands of pieces I currently own; but that doesn’t mean I don’t understand the problems others have with the change. Although I am having a tough time understanding the degree of passion (and rudeness) some have shown regarding it.

Besides, you’re making it sound as if Jake should be responsible for getting something changed to suit your specific needs. All the job descriptions I’ve heard from Jake more accurately could be called a two-way information courier. Is it his job to defend your opinion?

   I’m not saying he should have resigned, but maybe he failed to make TLG truly understand just how terrible this decision was? Well, I think he failed to do it, since they didn’t take the time to listen to us properly.

“... just how terrible this decision was” for a subset of the company’s target audience. It’s been said before but needs amplification: just because LEGO didn’t do things the way you wanted them to doesn’t mean they didn’t listen and understand your problem.

Face it, Jake’s about the best possible advocate for LUGNET readers that one could imagine. No, he’s not going to be able to convince the company leaders to make sweeping changes that would only suit a few people. But he can/has/will be able to inform said superiors so that AFOL concerns at least play a part of future decisions.

I’d be hard-pressed to find another global company that provides regional ombudsmen who interact with special interest groups as thoroughly as LEGO has. Personally, I’m grateful that a pair of ears are pointed our direction, not coincidentally attached to somebody with a brain to use what he hears. (I’m using Jake as an example, but you could insert “Kate” here just as well.)

So yes, Jake done good, and I trust he will do so in the future, regardless of his personal thoughts or biases. I think anybody who’s had the opportunity to actually speak with him for five minutes would tend to agree.

Kelly