 General / 47425
Re: Color Change - Final Update
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.lego
Date:
Thu, 6 May 2004 23:19:19 GMT

See, this is where I scratch my head. I'm not sure what more I can do to
convince people, or prove to people that we do listen. We've developed tons of
products that are extremely AFOL friendly (ISD, RBR, Wright Flyer, etc.), we've
issued Legends, some of them even based on AFOL voting, we've solicited feedback
on what kinds of Legends you'd like to see, we've created a bulk program via
SAH, we've launched general consumer concepts like WWYM, and PaB.

But we make a mistake (albeit an honest one) with the color change, and people
start talking as if we've shunned not embraced the community in the last 4+
years.

Jake,
All the sets you have listed in this post (and another previous one) were great
additions for the AFOL. Many thanks to whoever was responsible for bringing them
to us! I don't think anyone would disagree that AFOL treatment was at an all
time high from 2000-2003.

This treatment made my enthusiam soar with each new set release. It began to
plateau last spring when releases slowed down (at least of sets that I thought
were cool: legends, mocs, etc.). So things were already slowing down, and now,
because of the color and minifig changes, my enthusiasm for new sets seems to be
in a freefall.

Maybe the color change was an honest mistake, but aren't honest mistakes usually
corrected ASAP? Plus, imho, it is the second worst mistake the company could
have made (the first being making new bricks that do not connect with the old
ones).

Maybe I should spin this around and ask the AFOLs to answer this: What can I do
to "prove" that we are listening?

Make some cool new sets that have lots of small pieces (instead of 6 special
ones, and yes TLC is doing much better at this lately) that match with our
existing elements (maybe even in color). Bring back more legends and do more MOC
sets. Do more bulk that is affordable. Why are bulk packs so expensive? There is
no set design in them whatsoever. No new molds. I always feel ripped off when I
order $50 worth of bulk parts and get only a small pile of pieces. PaB is great
*if* you live near (or can visit) one of the handful of spots that offer it.

With the ammount I (used to) spend on lego, I can do just about any hobby I
want,so I guess at this point, to put it simply, it's up to the company to make
me want the product or my cash will go elsewhere.

James