 Trains / 25063 (-100)
  Re: 8 Wide LEGO Thomas! (pics)

(...) I had some problems while trying to replicate a dummy for the train motor. It seems one plate lower than the where the axle is in a regular wheelset is 1/2 a plate lower than the ground clearance of the motor. Although I don't recall the exact (...) (19 years ago, 7-May-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: 8 Wide LEGO Thomas! (pics)

(...) Yes, but how much clearance does one need? These ties are simply 1x4 tiles on the LEGO ties. If you need more clearance that, you also probably need more time at the design table;-) Out of curiousity, to what "other stuff" might you be (...) (19 years ago, 7-May-05, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.duplo, FTX)

  Re: Recycling Train

In lugnet.trains, James Mathis wrote: (SNIPPED) I must say this is a really cute MOC. More than the train itself I like the truck :-) Were you in any way inspired by the 4559 while doing this? It too has that modular setup with the truck able to (...) (19 years ago, 7-May-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: 8 Wide LEGO Thomas! (pics)

(...) Also, don't those sleepers mean less ground clearance for the motor (and other stuff)? Legoswami (19 years ago, 7-May-05, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.duplo, FTX)

  Re: 8 Wide LEGO Thomas! (pics)

(...) Great. Since a 100k pic is worth 100k of words, I'll post some to show how (along with some pics for my son Ross' solution for points, as requested elsewhere) JOHN (19 years ago, 7-May-05, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.duplo, FTX)

  Re: 8 Wide LEGO Thomas! (pics)

(...) Thanks for the pics! I must say they look pretty good, even with the squishing. I have an unrelated question though: How do those 1-wide sleepers work in curves? ROSCO (19 years ago, 6-May-05, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.duplo, FTX)

  Re: Recycling Train

(...) Thanks, John. While I wasn't shooting for the moon, I was going for a bit of a modern retro-style look. Hmmm, think VW Bug -> New Beetle or Classic Mini -> New Mini Cooper. For this concept Zia loc, I was trying for a Modern Euro-look to (...) (19 years ago, 6-May-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: 10170 TTX Intermodal Double-Stack Car Preview

(...) Don't forget the weight per axle... in Europe it's almost nowhere allowed to go over 22.5 metric tons (21 being most common in the Netherlands), while I've heard it's sometimes over 30 in the USA. Shared bogies here under container cars are (...) (19 years ago, 6-May-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Recycling Train

(...) I like this, James! Very rounded and sleek. I'm glad that there is someone out there keeping track of all of these new slope elements and putting them to good use:-) This train is so sleek that it made me think "Space train". It would look (...) (19 years ago, 6-May-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: 8 Wide LEGO Thomas! (pics)

(...) I am probably going to have to add a section on modifying the Duplo sets to 9v since it is a new and easy way to get Thomas for a club/layout. Russell (19 years ago, 6-May-05, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.duplo, FTX)

  Re: 10170 TTX Intermodal Double-Stack Car Preview

(...) Of course for a 5 long unit car, having the trucks integral would make for a pretty unwieldy model... Frank (19 years ago, 6-May-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Recycling Train

While it isn't based on any real life train, I imagine it could be...Here is (URL) Concept Zia Recycling System>. This is a recycling concept road and rail system. The recycling containers are modular, able to be attach to a road truck or into a (...) (19 years ago, 6-May-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: 8 Wide LEGO Thomas! (pics)

(...) lol Hey Russ- I was actually thinking about you when I was building this stuff-- how will these sets affect your LEGO Thomas presentation? JOHN (19 years ago, 6-May-05, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.duplo, FTX)

  Re: 8 Wide LEGO Thomas! (pics)

(...) SWEET! I have been thinking about doing something very similiar since I first saw the preview pictures. John, you might get me to go 8-wide after all. ;-) Russell BayLTC/BayLUG (19 years ago, 6-May-05, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.duplo, FTX)

  Re: 8 Wide LEGO Thomas! (pics)

(...) They are five studs in diameter. The faces I used on my 6 wide Thomas characters were just shy of 4 wide. I think that these new faces would be virtually impossible to use on 6 wide trains and have the results look good (except, perhaps, for (...) (19 years ago, 6-May-05, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.duplo, FTX)

  Re: Nominations for a trainset poll

(...) I'm not saying it has to be 6-wide :-) For the AFOL market, Tim's suggestion of UCS trains might work. An engine as large as a Challenger or Big-Boy is already too big for the popular market, so why not do it properly to the scale of the (...) (19 years ago, 6-May-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: 8 Wide LEGO Thomas! (pics)

(...) Works for me. I actually thought about doing that when I saw them in the prerelease photos! But now that you have one in your hand, how does the size of the face compare to, say, a 4x4 radar dish? Rob (19 years ago, 6-May-05, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.duplo)

  Re: Nominations for a trainset poll

(...) It might encourage more people to build to 8mm scale :-) Mark (19 years ago, 6-May-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Nominations for a trainset poll

(...) Heh - I wish I had 40 hours a week to spend on Lego! Before I got married I scraped about 15 hours a week, but that was also before I spent time in online Lego communities! Still, at least my railway trackbed is progressing OK, despite me (...) (19 years ago, 6-May-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  8 Wide LEGO Thomas! (pics)

Well, my prayers have been finally answered (sorta:-) I had gotten into the habit of firing off an email to Brad Justus every 6 months or so when he was still heading up LEGO Direct begging for TLG to get a license for producing Thomas the Tank (...) (19 years ago, 6-May-05, to lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.trains, lugnet.duplo, FTX) !!

  Re: 10170 TTX Intermodal Double-Stack Car Preview

(...) Aren't there also gains in reduced wheel friction? Even if the center trucks weighed the same as 2 normal trucks, the wheel friction would be reduced in the single truck example. Of course axle loading weight goes up with the single center (...) (19 years ago, 6-May-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Nominations for a trainset poll

(...) The silver livery is my favorite, but with the (URL) Silver Jubilee coach set> An I like the (URL) Hush-Hush W1> too Tim (19 years ago, 6-May-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Nominations for a trainset poll

(...) (Ross built, with rather lame decal by me) (URL) (...) That is a cool memory. Speaking of memories and Peabodys, my son Ross' favorite toy as a 2 year old was an HO Peabody hopper his uncle gave him. He took it with him everywhere he went. (...) (19 years ago, 6-May-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Nominations for a trainset poll

(...) OK, I say the (URL) Mallard> too. (URL) Fastest> steam engine and a lovely design. Do it in blue. To go with it, an LNER (URL) teak carriage, done in dark orange and white. To come as one set that can build either a (URL) 1st class coach> or a (...) (19 years ago, 6-May-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Nominations for a trainset poll

(...) Agreed. Something like (URL) would be cool. Legoswami (19 years ago, 6-May-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Nominations for a trainset poll

(...) (URL) Fairy Queen> Oldest working steam locomotive in the world. (Built in 1855!) 'Nuf said. Legoswami (19 years ago, 6-May-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Nominations for a trainset poll

(...) What about a set of Peabody coal cars. Yel body, green end. (...) A Southern engine would be nice and brings back memories. I remember those clawing their way up from the Ohio river valley after they crossed at Cincinnati. The house would (...) (19 years ago, 6-May-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Nominations for a trainset poll

(...) Hmm... how wide is a motor, with the truck sideframes? THere is stuff outside the wheels and they are not much wider (if at all) than 6. I'm thinking that if cost was no object, and you weren't trying to get something that actually worked, you (...) (19 years ago, 6-May-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Nominations for a trainset poll

(...) Can you be more specific? Loewy was responsible for a LOT of great stuff... the E unit, the PA, the GG1, and many other things were either designed by him or strongly influenced... (19 years ago, 6-May-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Nominations for a trainset poll

(...) I doubt a Shay would be possible in 6 wide - even with non working shafts, they have to be beside the wheels, requiring at least 8 wide. (URL) I found> the minimum practical scale was 10 wide. ROSCO (19 years ago, 6-May-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Nominations for a trainset poll

(...) An aside... is this actually true? Sure, it's their full time job but they have a limited amount of time for any given set to be in product development. We can take as much time as we like. Just sayin... (19 years ago, 6-May-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Check This Out

(...) I rode it when I (URL) happened across it in 2001> - they have some neat full-size stuff (URL) there> too. ROSCO (19 years ago, 6-May-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Check This Out

(...) I don't recognize the location- I don't have any 7.5" stuff though... (URL) are more baby sized...both are under 200 lb all up, and will pull in excess of 1000 lb... I don't have any photos of my new toy on the web yet...when it gets here, (...) (19 years ago, 6-May-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Nominations for a trainset poll

(...) How about the Raymond Loewy Streamliner? (Sorry, not up to a lot of detail with my trains--I'd like to see more train structures (i.e. bridges, stations, water tower, etc....) Scott Lyttle (19 years ago, 5-May-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Check This Out

(...) "Our base of operations is in New Westminster, British Columbia, Canada" Mmmm, home town boy makes good! I thought it must be local when the first pic was of a West Coast Express loco. Kevin ---...--- Classic Red Barn kit: (URL) FREE Hospital (...) (19 years ago, 6-May-05, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.loc.ca.bc.van)

  Re: Nominations for a trainset poll

(...) Speaking from personal experience - (URL) my 8-wide "Challenger"> a Big Boy would be extremely difficult to do without some major simplifications. My Challenger can handle 4 curved tracks in a row, (but still has problems with switch track...) (...) (19 years ago, 5-May-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  New Thomas trains are out, and 7344 Large Dump truck

I stopped by my local TRU, Mira Mesa/San Diego, on Tuesday and I think I stepped into a time warp. They had all 4 sets from the new (URL) DUPLO line >. As well as the new LEGO (URL) Large Dump Truck, 7344 >! Non of these show up on S@H or any other (...) (19 years ago, 5-May-05, to lugnet.duplo, lugnet.trains, lugnet.town, FTX)

  Re: Nominations for a trainset poll

(...) Why not one of the 0-6-0 diesels by the Dick Kerr works/GEC, which later got exported to other countries as well? Would broaden appeal ... (19 years ago, 5-May-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Nominations for a trainset poll

(...) Well, It just has to be the Mallard. World famous, fast, impressive streamilned shape and well-represented with standard Lego colours. Will need BBB wheels but could get away without the rods as the skirts cover a large proportion of the (...) (19 years ago, 5-May-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Nominations for a trainset poll

(...) I think a Big boy might be a bit big for a Lego set (UCS trains anyone?) but I'll include it anyway (...) Shouldn't that be either all brown (or tan) for teak coaches or cream and green? Tim (...) (19 years ago, 5-May-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Nominations for a trainset poll

(...) I like this idea, although I'm a bigger fan of the SP Daylights. Mat (19 years ago, 5-May-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Nominations for a trainset poll

(...) Since the designers at TLC have so much more time than we do, and since I managed to build an LMS Garratt (2-6-0+0-6-2), I'm sure they can do a Big-Boy, assuming the current trend of North America being the biggest trains market. And yes, it (...) (19 years ago, 5-May-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Nominations for a trainset poll

(...) Ahh, I was not aware of that distinction! My foepaw. JOHN FUT.fun (19 years ago, 5-May-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Nominations for a trainset poll

(...) Now if ONLY you'd learn from me! I admit stuff all the time. Earlier in the TTX thread, in fact I admitted Jason was right. YOU could learn a lot from that. :-) (...) Why? I'm the only one that doesn't make "misteaks", everyone else I tar with (...) (19 years ago, 5-May-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Check This Out

(...) Please excuse the mis-use or lack of proper RR lingo, I'm still new to trains. Here in St. Louis we have the WF&P Rail Road ((URL) route goes along a river, some old railroad beds (I believe) and through some wooded areas, about a 30 minute (...) (19 years ago, 5-May-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Nominations for a trainset poll

(...) (After a little investigation, it appears to be Benn Coifman) (19 years ago, 5-May-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Check This Out

(...) :-) That stuff is positively KeWl! Funny you should mention that. One of my long-term goals is to build a train consist using Gauge 1 trucks, couplers, and motors (BTW, I've abandoned 14 wide for the correct size for Gauge 1, 12 wide) and run (...) (19 years ago, 5-May-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Nominations for a trainset poll

(...) You are my inspiration! (you may want to check your spell-checker;-) JOHN (19 years ago, 5-May-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Nominations for a trainset poll

(...) I sampled it:-) Yes, Rob, your objection is noted, but hey, you can't have everything (where would you put it?) LEGO dark blue would be close enough for me, because I'd kitbash to build some Minneapolis, Northfield, & Southern locos, as (...) (19 years ago, 5-May-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Check This Out

(...) Hmm, larger scale than the live steam rideable layout I got a chance to visit in Largo Florida last Christmas. I really need to get around to posting pictures from it. The Largo layout sprawls over several acres of a park, complete with a (...) (19 years ago, 5-May-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Nominations for a trainset poll

(...) He must have! J2 never makes mistakes (that he'll admit to) (19 years ago, 5-May-05, to lugnet.trains)

"Larry Pieniazek" <larry.(mylastname)@...e.DOT.com> wrote in message news:IG0uzB.E3u@lugnet.com... (...) *nod*, that he did, mate. That he did. BUT - who's to say he used to correct color? Rob (19 years ago, 5-May-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Nominations for a trainset poll

(...) and a [LDrawPart 4522:8] Mallet! (...) Tim (19 years ago, 5-May-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Nominations for a trainset poll

(...) (not (...) J2, maybe you could ask the guy who did that logo what color they used??? They presumably would know. (wink) (19 years ago, 5-May-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Nominations for a trainset poll

(...) Fair cop. But read on for why I chose NS. (...) That's a broken image link but I'm guessing it's a MoPac engine??? I agree it's a nice color AND they have a great logo... BUT... they're a Fallen Flag!... I'm talking current roads here. Plus, (...) (19 years ago, 5-May-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Nominations for a trainset poll

"John" <John@TCLTC.org> wrote in message news:IG0t4z.1o1@lugnet.com... (...) NAVY, psssssssshhh...hhh. That's not NAVY! It's JENKS blue (also known as MOPAC blue). I would not have known that, but you hit pretty darned close to home(1) with that (...) (19 years ago, 5-May-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Check This Out

(...) That stuff makes your 14 wides look positively "puny"... (19 years ago, 5-May-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Nominations for a trainset poll

(...) I would like to nominate the orginal Type 0 shinkansen. This has the hemispherical front which is so recognisable. I have tried to model it with standard pieces but I cannot get the front to look right. One new piece which would blend from a (...) (19 years ago, 5-May-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Nominations for a trainset poll

(...) I like your thinking here, but I question the road for color reasons. Black? Boring. How about a (URL) U boat> (not too wild about the model, but, <drool>, NAVY:-d) JOHN (19 years ago, 5-May-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Check This Out

(URL) UNBELIEVABLE> That's one lifestyle I'd consider if I won the lottery (that is, if I actually played the lottery, which I don't) JOHN (19 years ago, 5-May-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Nominations for a trainset poll

(...) As Tim alludes, one set probably would do... I'd go further and say, supply the loose piece sets to build both the construction trains (supply flats, dormitory cars, equipment flats with horse drawn graders on board etc) as well as the (...) (19 years ago, 5-May-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Nominations for a trainset poll

(...) I was looking at it more from the perspective of "collectible" playability. I assume you could do it either way. I would think the PPP(1) would be lower if you packaged the Golden Spike in one box as a set. Throw in some straight track and (...) (19 years ago, 5-May-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Nominations for a trainset poll

(...) Only Eurotrash need apply?? WELL... if we assume US proto are welcome, and there are no restrictions on new parts, here are my suggestions (...) BNSF are overweighted lately, time for some eastern roads choice 1: Loco: NS late model GE road (...) (19 years ago, 5-May-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Nominations for a trainset poll

You can make as many (or few) nominations as you want, the more the merrier! Tim (19 years ago, 5-May-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Nominations for a trainset poll

(...) Although these locos are probably quite different in many ways I think they would be quite similar when built from Lego. I wonder if you could get away with one set with alternative smokestacks (you'd have to buy two of course to get the (...) (19 years ago, 5-May-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Nominations for a trainset poll

(...) The (URL) Milwaukee Road Hiawatha> passenger steam train (circa 1939) :-d`` JOHN (19 years ago, 5-May-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Nominations for a trainset poll

----- Original Message ----- From: Tim David Newsgroups: lugnet.trains Sent: Thursday, May 05, 2005 6:09 AM Subject: Nominations for a trainset poll Following the long and rambling thread on the doublestack car one thing that (URL) came up> (1) (...) (19 years ago, 5-May-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Nominations for a trainset poll

(...) The French Capitole (URL) 1200 class (URL) then in it's old berlin-blue livery, with some plan E coaches (URL) • A complete train set consisting of no more than FOUR vehicles. TGV Sud-Est in original livery (URL) Hondekop, either a 2- or (...) (19 years ago, 5-May-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 10170 TTX Intermodal Double-Stack Car Preview

(...) Oh, very much so! Even steam locomotive drivers (in most US prototypes I'm aware of) are held in place by gravity, much less individual freight car trucks. But they have a bit more weight to work with. Most model railroad models don't use this (...) (19 years ago, 5-May-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Nominations for a trainset poll

Following the long and rambling thread on the doublestack car one thing that (URL) came up> (1) that inspired me was the idea of a 'famous trains' series. Purely for the sake of entertainment I'm looking for people to suggest ideas for hypothetical (...) (19 years ago, 5-May-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: 10170 TTX Intermodal Double-Stack Car Preview

(...) [snip] (...) But it is prototypical, isn't it :?) Chris (19 years ago, 5-May-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 10170 TTX Intermodal Double-Stack Car Preview

(...) Forgive the mundaneness of this question, but why the odd number of wells? How come 2 and 4 well cars aren't seen as often (or at all)? I see a lot of these cars come and go in the yards near me, I'll have to start counting the number of (...) (19 years ago, 4-May-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: 10170 TTX Intermodal Double-Stack Car Preview

(...) Random thought: Has anyone tried using Bionicle-style ball-and-socket joints as bogie attachments? My guess is that they would have enough friction to keep the stock from tilting over yet have the articulation to handle track unevenness as (...) (19 years ago, 4-May-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 10170 TTX Intermodal Double-Stack Car Preview

(...) Jake, you answered my unmentioned question. I assumed selling 2 at a time was for the reason above, and selling 1 at a time would raise the per car price. So 2 at a time is great. Doing the math (2 end trucks, 1 center truck and connections) I (...) (19 years ago, 4-May-05, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.dear-lego, FTX)

  Re: 10170 TTX Intermodal Double-Stack Car Preview

(...) I have used both 2x2 and 4x4 turntables to attach bogies. The 2x2 allows for a good amount of movement from the vertical, but is a pig to re-attach the bogies if they come off. The 4x4 allows very little such movement, but as the MOC in (...) (19 years ago, 4-May-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 10170 TTX Intermodal Double-Stack Car Preview

(...) I can satisfy the first part :-) (URL) The real ones run every day along the line south from Derby, probably 2 an hour, along with probably another 2 goods trains with other locos and several DMUs and HSTs. Mark (19 years ago, 4-May-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 10170 TTX Intermodal Double-Stack Car Preview

(...) Flying Scotsman in whichever green is closest to Apple Green (light green? - be great to get a range of parts in that colour). Complemented by chocolate and cream coaches - easy now we have chocolate brown! Though for goodness sake let them (...) (19 years ago, 4-May-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: 10170 TTX Intermodal Double-Stack Car Preview

(...) I used this part to atach a 9v train motor to a train baseplate, with the motor centered on the wire hole. I wanted the motor closer to the center for a My Train steam engine. Mat (19 years ago, 4-May-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 10170 TTX Intermodal Double-Stack Car Preview

(...) Ya Jake, hook us up with some reefer(s) man. No WONDER JoJo is insinuating what he's insinuating... XFUT off-topic.fun (19 years ago, 4-May-05, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  (canceled)

  Re: 10170 TTX Intermodal Double-Stack Car Preview

(...) I believe that different car classes have different freight rates (just like they have different dunnage charges when they're empty)... a 5 well will be a different class than a 1 well. (19 years ago, 4-May-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: 10170 TTX Intermodal Double-Stack Car Preview

(...) Right, the wieght and rolling savings aside, it's also cheaper to pay for 1 cor to roll on someone elses line then it is for 3 or 5. Mat (19 years ago, 4-May-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: 10170 TTX Intermodal Double-Stack Car Preview

(...) Jake, I would like BOTH the Reefer AND European designs. David (19 years ago, 4-May-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 10170 TTX Intermodal Double-Stack Car Preview

(...) I can tell you that that probably is the best approach, especially when dealing with this sort of train car. My 5 well Huskey Stack: (URL) is a bear to set up, because I have to find the couplings blindly (2x2 turntables). Since it's been (...) (19 years ago, 4-May-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  A new article by Didier Enjary...

(URL) FYI: A new article by Didier Enjary (FreeLUG) titled LEGO Trains - Decorative Color Schemes is now available in the ILTCO library! (URL) SteveB (19 years ago, 4-May-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: 10170 TTX Intermodal Double-Stack Car Preview

(...) <Shameless Self-Plug> I'm doing the same thing with my newest under-construction diesel: (URL) This image is a bit outdated although it gives you an idea why I did so. I may/may not put pics of the updated version. It's all classified at the (...) (19 years ago, 4-May-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: 10170 TTX Intermodal Double-Stack Car Preview

(...) whew! (...) Na, I like them. (...) One other thing I have toyed with is using a 1x2 technic brick, sideways. There is just enough of a cut in shoulder there that the pin doesn't bind the way it does in two plates. However it doesn't allow that (...) (19 years ago, 4-May-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 10170 TTX Intermodal Double-Stack Car Preview

Ah. The single plate approach is what I use as well for my custom cars. On first read, I thought you are advocating not using Technic plates at all. And I was trying to figure out what else could possibly be used (besides wagon plates.) My mistake. (...) (19 years ago, 4-May-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 10170 TTX Intermodal Double-Stack Car Preview

(...) Only use one plate, and leave the second (upper) layer hollow so the pin can move up and down vertically and also move a bit out of the vertical axis. This helps with track conformance when the track is uneven. Note that if you use LEGO's (...) (19 years ago, 4-May-05, to lugnet.trains)

(...) technic (...) What is a better approach? Can you provide a link? -- Bryan "Larry Pieniazek" <larry.(mylastname)@...e.DOT.com> wrote in message news:IFyz9B.1sDD@lugnet.com... (...) seems the (...) (URL) >> (URL) (...) axle, to (...) click in (...) (19 years ago, 4-May-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 10170 TTX Intermodal Double-Stack Car Preview

(...) He was a lot(1) younger then! And perhaps wiser???(2) 1 - OK, not a LOT younger, I think I've been getting TRAINS longer than he's been alive! 2 - Different chemical dependency. I keep telling my wife that a drug addiction would be more (...) (19 years ago, 4-May-05, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.fun, lugnet.off-topic.fun, FTX)

  Re: 10170 TTX Intermodal Double-Stack Car Preview

(...) Long time readers may recall my repeated ranting against using stacked technic plates for the receivers of the pin on bogie plates. Same issue here, in my view. Apparently the design may possibly have room for improvement. Having the trucks (...) (19 years ago, 4-May-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: 10170 TTX Intermodal Double-Stack Car Preview

(...) Mallard in (dark?) blue with big red wheels, skirts and dark orange (teak) white-roofed carriages... Jason Railton (19 years ago, 4-May-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 10170 TTX Intermodal Double-Stack Car Preview

(...) Good points. I think what you need is either a design that looks particularly desirable (like the SFSC), or something that includes desirable colours (like the BNSF did). How about picking a livery that's mostly dark blue? Jason Railton (19 years ago, 4-May-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 10170 TTX Intermodal Double-Stack Car Preview

(...) I'm not sure that's an accurate sampling, then. Perhaps for clubs just getting started, it is, but the vast majority of stuff running on more established club layouts at shows is scratchbuilt. Yes, you'll see some stock stuff, but take a look (...) (19 years ago, 4-May-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 10170 TTX Intermodal Double-Stack Car Preview

(...) I suppose Japan if pushed too. I made a Shinkasen out of 2 copies and some extra parts, after all, way way back when. Jason's right though, I have, in this thread, fallen into the trap of categorising everything, accurate rendition or not, (...) (19 years ago, 4-May-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 10170 TTX Intermodal Double-Stack Car Preview

(...) Ya, give us a Mallard, (or Flying Scotsman, I'm not picky) and some UK stock to go with it! (19 years ago, 4-May-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 10170 TTX Intermodal Double-Stack Car Preview

(...) Agreed, would be a good official model I think. (...) Well I like it but I don't think it would work as an official model. I included it as an example of loco that is fairly widespread. (...) Agreed, but the seperate vehicles concept can apply (...) (19 years ago, 4-May-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 10170 TTX Intermodal Double-Stack Car Preview

In lugnet.trains, Timothy Gould wrote: ... (...) Not exactly, the design is quite different from TGV and "Duplex TGV". TGV exists in various liveries - here a link that help you to clearly understand. (URL) Focus on : "Sud-Est" (older one) with his (...) (19 years ago, 4-May-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 10170 TTX Intermodal Double-Stack Car Preview

(...) Don't forget the Scotsman..... SNIPPED (...) I think the Deltic Class 55 series would be a good choice as far as British protos go. (...) Thats a good choice too. IMO, since both these locos (Class 55 and Class 50) are there in Microsoft's (...) (19 years ago, 4-May-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact